Jury Duty!

Old 04-07-2010, 02:34 PM

I've been called in IL, one week in April. I filled out a questionnaire to see if I meet the qualifications. Then I get another letter saying that I must serve with another questionnaire. I'm to be available for a week and call each evening to see if I have to report the next day. Hoping I don't. But it would be an experience. Work has been stressful, so I'm hoping for a long trial. Maybe even being sequestered for it. ;-)
Old 04-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Google Goddess

oh my, keep us posted
Old 04-08-2010, 01:34 AM
Banned

yes I was called in two years in a row. Penny
Old 04-08-2010, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
Back in Massachusetts, we got a post card saying what day, but to call the night before to see if we really had to go. I got 4 post cards over a period of about 5 years, but only had to go once.
I live in MA. I get called every 3 years. Post card one mouth before the date I have to go. Call the night before I go to see if my section is needed (A,B or C). If my section is cancled I have served and will not be call for an other 3 years. And if not cancled I go in for one day and I have served and will not be call for an other 3 years. I have served on one case that lasted 3 days. Hope I never do that again. Don't mined being called. I can all ways take a book to read or my hand quilting while waiting.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:32 AM

in nj you call the night before your date, and they tell you whether or not to report for jury duty. you get there and wait forever to see if a judge needs a juror in his jury box. sometimes you sit all day and no one needs a person. sometimes you get called for 1-day 1-trial. the trial can take up to 6 weeks. it pays $5 per day.
doesn't even cover gas money. they ask if you have a medical condition and i had to say i have siezures, the judge actually asked me "what happens when you black out and fall down". i said "i don't know. i black out and fall down." everyone laughed except him and he excused me. i really wanted to stay on that one. a murder. ALLEGED murder. :roll: :mrgreen:
Old 04-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Charlee
The jury I served on in Montana was actually kind of fun. Montana sends you a letter saying that you might be called during a certain time period...a year I think? During that time period I got a letter telling me to show up on whatever day, didn't have to wait around and wonder if I was busy or not. I went when I was told, and got selected for the jury. The others were a fun bunch, we had a good time together...until it got down to brass tacks, and then we had to get serious.
I'd have done it again in a heartbeat. I was actually kind of excited to have gotten the letter this time too, until I found out how it works...and now the more I think about it the madder I get! I'll be writing some letters to be sure!
In oregon you can reschedule your jury duty,I did it once when we were not gone to be in town. they just ask when do you want to be rescheduled to. Oregon will work with you. Penny
Old 04-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
One thing about Iowa, if you are an educator, I was, or a daycare provider, I was, you are exempt! SO now that I wear hearing aids I'm also exempt. I really would have liked the experience.
I didn't know that. It wouldn't help me but it's good to know.