Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Has anyone ever wanted to (seriously) reduce their stash? >
  • Has anyone ever wanted to (seriously) reduce their stash?

• Has anyone ever wanted to (seriously) reduce their stash?

Old 04-13-2010, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    As in... while most of us are still "collecting"... has anyone here ever wanted to do the reverse, and un-collect, or part with their fabrics?

If so, what do you think caused your change of mind?
    When my husband retired and we decided to relocate from IL to FL, I HAD to eliminate a lot of things and it wasn't easy to do. I went through my fabrics very carefully and anything that I felt I couldn't use was put in the garage sale and the little that didn't sell was donated to a local charity. We just couldn't afford to pay to move all of it. My stash took a hard hit until we had a JoAnn's open near us as I don't drive outside of the Villages. Twice a year, we'd go to JoAnn's in Ocala and I'd pick up what I needed for the projects I wanted to work on. So glad one is near me now and have spent way too much in there and I'm still NOT restocked at all. Someone on here asked how many quilts we could make with what we currently have around the house - not a whole lot. Since we eliminated a lot of clothing, I don't even have old clothing to work with. Guess it would be happy garage sale and rummage sale time to find clothing to cut up. A friend of mine in IL had to do that after she retired because between the two pensions, money was still very tight for them so she rarely bought anything new to quilt with and her creations were amazing.
    Old 04-13-2010, 02:30 PM

Not on purpose, but if someone on the quilting board puts out a request for help, I'm always willing to go thru my stash and send out a squishy.
    Old 04-13-2010, 02:43 PM

I have decided that I need to use more of what I have. I am fortunate to have a DM who will buy me fabric from time to time. I haven't bought any fabric myself for a while. My goal is to make several scrap quilts. Now that I have learned how to paper piece, I can get rid of the smaller scraps.
    Old 04-13-2010, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by marsye
    Get outta here! :lol:
    My thoughts EXACTLY!!!
    Old 04-13-2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ilovemydogs
    I have decided that I need to use more of what I have. I am fortunate to have a DM who will buy me fabric from time to time. I haven't bought any fabric myself for a while. My goal is to make several scrap quilts. Now that I have learned how to paper piece, I can get rid of the smaller scraps.
    Is a DM a Dear Mother? If so congratulations. My mother passed away in 2003 but I inherited a lot of her stash. I have two sisters that also quilt so I had to split it with them. We still had several large plastic tubs each. :thumbup: Once all six of us kids moved out mom had room to have a pretty good size stash. She never shopped but we kept her in fabric.
    Old 04-13-2010, 03:03 PM

No Way! I'm always willing to add to it, though.
    Old 04-13-2010, 03:26 PM

Thankfully I have never given that a thought. I see fabric that I like and just add to my stash. When my quilter friends or DD is looking for something I am happy to open the doors to my sewing room.
    Old 04-13-2010, 03:32 PM

No....still adding after 4 years.
    Old 04-13-2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by starlight
    Thankfully I have never given that a thought. I see fabric that I like and just add to my stash. When my quilter friends or DD is looking for something I am happy to open the doors to my sewing room.
    I'm with you SL, anyone is welcome to some of my stash, I'm willing to share for the most part. There's some that I have a particular plan for that I don't share. My sisters come home from Michigan and go "shopping" in my stash. When I find clearanced fabric I always get enough for them too. My quilting instructor was showing some blocks in class one day and said, "I'm going to have to figure out another fabric to add because I can't find any more of this one." So I gave her the piece I had so that she could finish her quilt the way she wanted it. That's what we're in this for isn't it?
    Old 04-13-2010, 05:51 PM

I have shared some of mine with others.