Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feeling left out. >

Feeling left out.

Feeling left out.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
What is going on? This is the second post I read this morning about rude quilters!! I really didn't realize there was such a thing! Even my hubby mentioned always meeting happy friendly quilters, and now this?? Is it another "sign of the time we live in now?"
Have to agree with you, 'witch'. It is a sign of the times. People rude, crude and socially unacceptable!! :lol: But seriously, they do get way too set in their ways, and too many tight little cliques get formed. We don't allow those in our guild...the President goes to them and breaks them up, or asks anyone stuborn about it to leave the guild. We like our President!!
Old 04-29-2010, 11:26 AM

Reminds me of those goofy little high school drama queens. Your better off seeking a newer friendly bunch of gals. Personally I prefer my quilting group.................
Attached Thumbnails attachment-24033.jpe   attachment-24034.jpe  
Old 04-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Banned

You have the same thing in the car show scene. I have to deal with them on a regular basis since all I do is build and paint high end show cars. Some of them can be very degrading at times but I know how to deal with them in a silent manner.

I was at Street Rod Nationals a couple of years ago and a guy was looking at a car I had painted that was cruising the grounds. He told his buddy that he wanted who ever painted that car to do his, and he didn't care what it cost. A complement for me never the less but a few hours earlier I was trying to get some information about his services and told me that since I didnt have a shop that he would not sell to me because I could not provide him with enough volume to warrant his time.

About a month or so later he called me up and told me who he was and was wondering if I could paint his '34 Plymouth Coupe for him and I told him sure love to.

I doubled the price and he was tickled to have his car painted. To this day I do not think he has ever put 2 and 2 together.......... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Billy
Old 04-29-2010, 11:44 AM

Sorry I did not say that about the machines to make you feel out of place.

It was just that we had alot of auto stuff that she had to do by hand, like auto threaders, cutters, needle positioning, separate bobbin winders etc so we would be faster, not that she was slow plus we knew our machines much better than somebody who was making their first quilt.

I used my old Viking until November. I do have to say though the newer machines with the options make life alot easier.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Joan
Originally Posted by mygirl66
Now I kinda feel out of place! I still have my first sewing machine,(and still use) a Brother with about 10 different stiches, and all quilting is done by hand. :cry: LOL

Please don't feel out of place. I just have a "baby" Janome, it does just a few stitches and has none of the bells and whistles of the fancier machines. But, you know what? It does everything "I" want it to do and that's all that matters to me.

(and this machine, mind you, was a step up from my Mother's old White machine----despite getting it "fixed", etc. it would never maintain consistant tension..........)
OH, please dont take that to heart, Im very happy with my machine. I have had chances to upgrade, and decided against it. I really enjoy sewing on it, its like an old faithful friend. The thing I like the most is that I have had it for so long, I know how to fix it if something acts up on it. A friend of mine recieved an $4,500 sewing machine from her mother, and its in the shop more than her house! Its all good :-D
Old 04-29-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Originally Posted by mygirl66
Now I kinda feel out of place! I still have my first sewing machine,(and still use) a Brother with about 10 different stiches, and all quilting is done by hand. :cry: LOL
Everyone here on the board have different machines, from the oldest treadles to the newest bells and whistles... we are quite a diverse group, and do not judge anyone by their machines and especially not by the fact that you handquilt :wink: many of us will be envying you and that skill!!! :D:D:D
Thank you Amma, I know this is a great place to be, and everyone here is wonderful, I was smiling when I wrote it. This is honestly the best place I have ever found, everyone is supportive, friendly and very helpful. You have no idea how many times I wished we could all live close together, wouldnt it be wonderful!? I think we should have our own Quilting State. Only Quilters could live there........ the things I daydream about!
Old 04-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Banned

I really wouldn't let it bother me hun. People like that I stay away from and better off. I know its hard, but then hey you got us and we all love you...
Old 04-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

I'd have to ask someone what caused the sudden ruffles. Do I smell? Did I offend in any way? Did I say something wrong? (That one is a always a possibility for me - teehehe) It means having to accept and deal with the answer - whatever it may be. Then I can decide:
1. Did I do the thing I am accuse of or was it a misunderstanding?
2. If I did the thing I am accused of, did I mean to?
3. If I didn't mean to, am I willing to change or can those people just kiss my lilly-white hiney and leave me well enough alone?

Just think of this: We are all here - this motley crew of quilters and crafters from all walks of life and all levels of ability and we make it work!
Old 04-29-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by hokieappmom
Originally Posted by Pam

Take that Susan, you know who you are, cranky old woman. Hahahaa. She hates me. I spent 4 years in the USMC I am not afraid of one geriatric old biddy.
LMBO. You go girl.
Since I belong to one of these guilds that Pam is talking about, I'm SO glad my name isn't "Susan".... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 04-29-2010, 03:43 PM

I belonged to a local guild for several years, attended almost every meeting and went on 2 trips. It seemed funny to me that nobody even knew my name, even though I volunteered to help out at the quilt show and on the committees. My offers were never taken up, only the select few were allowed to help out. The last straw was in a quilt shop while on a trip to a quilt show. The leader of the trip said that my quilts were not really quilts because they were not hand quilted. That was it, no more guild meetings for me. In 2 years, not 1 call to see where I was. I don't need them, their loss.