Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Row  Robin - Signup Closed >

Row Robin - Signup Closed

Row Robin - Signup Closed

Old 05-08-2010, 05:12 PM

Sandy has asked that we post our pictures of our rows to this thread instead of the one where Kerri & I posted our pictures so that we can keep everything together, so I am posting my picture here. I got a little overexcited about this and couldn't wait to get my blocks done.

Row Robin blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]52757[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-52757.jpe  
Old 05-08-2010, 08:47 PM

Very nice, wow you are quick. I've not started mine yet and it will be another couple weeks as I am working on my siggie blocks (finished 1/2 of them today, my thumb is killing me from signing them all) need to get my May partners block done and at leat 3 or 4 Boomerang blocks done before I can start this one....wow. But only have one more week of school and then its lots of sewing time.
Muriel
I do have a question, I know we are suppose to use our color theme in our 1st row, I'm thinking of doing an Amish color theme with black sashings or background. If the next person in line is adding their row would it be o.k. for me to send the fabric I would like used as the background?
Maybe this isn't the right quilt for it, what do you all think?
Muriel
Old 05-09-2010, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by JudyG
Sandy has asked that we post our pictures of our rows to this thread instead of the one where Kerri & I posted our pictures so that we can keep everything together, so I am posting my picture here. I got a little overexcited about this and couldn't wait to get my blocks done.
Would you measure your row, mine is not 60 inches long what did I do
Old 05-09-2010, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by AkAngel
Very nice, wow you are quick. I've not started mine yet and it will be another couple weeks as I am working on my siggie blocks (finished 1/2 of them today, my thumb is killing me from signing them all) need to get my May partners block done and at leat 3 or 4 Boomerang blocks done before I can start this one....wow. But only have one more week of school and then its lots of sewing time.
Muriel
I do have a question, I know we are suppose to use our color theme in our 1st row, I'm thinking of doing an Amish color theme with black sashings or background. If the next person in line is adding their row would it be o.k. for me to send the fabric I would like used as the background?
Maybe this isn't the right quilt for it, what do you all think?
Muriel
I would like each person to have the choice to match it them self , i hope that isn't a problem, I want everyone to not be under stress during this swap.May next time you could start an amish block swap and sending what you want used would work out
Old 05-09-2010, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by materialgrl

Is your row too short material? If you are using patterns from quilterscache...remember...use a SCANT 1/4" seam...their patterns always seem to make up too small if you don't.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat

Is your row too short material? If you are using patterns from quilterscache...remember...use a SCANT 1/4" seam...their patterns always seem to make up too small if you don't.
Like Sandpat said, you have to be REALLY careful to make your seams a scant 1/4 inch. I found that out the hard way when I was doing a block with a lot of diagonal seams in it. But now I have a 1/4 inch foot with a guide that works perfectly for the scant seam, so my row did end up at 60.5 inches (including the half inch on each side for the outside seams).

You can stretch a block somewhat after it is put together. Here is a link to a Sharon Schamber video about that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQkF02vpVuw

She also has a video about shrinking a block that came out too large. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6aplw_tVZc

She also has a video called "Binding the Angel" which is a three part video on how to bind a quilt using Elmer's School Glue. I saw this last year, and now use Elmer's glue on all my bindings. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PE0Yq9iGlc

For those who don't know who she is, she is a fabulous quilter and has lots of good information out there regarding quilting. It is pretty expensive to belong to her group (which is why I don't belong), but there is lots of free information out there that she has put out.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:28 AM

Yes that what I did ,measured my seams and they were a little off, took it a part, and hope I can make it come out right,guess I got to much going on, better slow down and be more careful on my seams,scant means scant.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:28 AM

scant means scant.
Especially with anything from quilterscache! Good luck with your blocks. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

If I'm making anything from quilterscache....I just move my needle a notch over. Does your machine have that adjustment? I have the 1/4" foot, but sometimes I don't pay enough attention.

I sure hope your blocks go together the right measurement..At least we figured out the problem. :lol:
Old 05-10-2010, 06:12 AM

Those blocks are very pretty. I haven't started on mine yet. I hope to get them cut this week and then sew them together this weekend.