Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting and jury duty >

quilting and jury duty

quilting and jury duty

Old 05-19-2010, 04:36 PM

You will be expected to pay attention to the court, and will be "encouraged" not to do any handwork or anything else. Guess how I know this.......
Old 05-19-2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Here you can't take cell phones, pagers, fingernail clippers, sewing needles, small scissors, or knitting needles into the courthouse. They won't let you carry a second bag in at all unless you work there. Call ahead and check if you could take a small bag of sewing to do in your down time.
I entered a court house with a friend a few yrs. ago & they even took my nail file. They gave it back as I left but I wondered how much damage I could have done with a sm. nail file.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bonnie Moon
I'm not trying to be rude, but you seem to be missing the point. Your attention needs to be on the evidence and witness testimony. No matter how trivial it is to you, a person life is hanging in the balance here. No matter how small or large the case maybe, the verdict could very well be changed by you not having your full attention on the case. There is a time and place for quilting and cutting threads, this is not one of them. Take your quilting to the doctor's office while you have to wait since you will not be the one performing surgery. If it were your family member on trial, would you want to see someone in the jury box reading a book or quilting?
My problem is that I need something to help me focus my attention. I find that I can remember better and keep my focus on what is going on around me when my hands and head are on two tasks.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:39 PM
Banned

when I was on jury duty, they let me bring my crochet. and on another note, to those who are not understanding what is being asked. you don't bring books,sewing or anything else in the actule court. You bring that stuff to do when you are there waiting all day to be called. God bless. Penny
Old 05-20-2010, 01:14 AM

I would agree that you could work on your quilt in the "down" time, but not while you were actually sitting in the jury box. Our judges won't even allow newspapers to be brought into the court room, even by people just observing the trial.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:04 AM

I got summonsed in September. The instructions were, you can read, drink and even go eat but be back in time to 'sit' on the jury . . IF . . your name is called. Spend all day sitting, waiting but as fate had it set, I saw a man I was in high school with, a relative of someone I take care of and a transvestite that wanted to 'girl talk'. If I had had something to sew, gosh, I wouldn't have had time. I did, however, wonder if my situation were different how I would have managed, and the clerk said, once you enter the court, you put everything away. You may take notes. That was it.......and for $11.00 a day. They did not call my name and I am looking forward to another chance to 'sit'. It's my country, too, and it makes me proud to participate.

Blessings, Ruth
Old 05-20-2010, 05:35 AM

You will not be able to do any hand work while being an actual juror. However, if you do get selected, ask if you can work during breaks and if you are so unfortunate to be selected for a trial that requires being sequestered, do take work with you. You will be glad you have a distraction as you cannot watch TV except under group supervision. I stayed in my room hand quilting on baby quilt the time I was on a 1 1/2 week long trial.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:29 AM

I work at the courthouses and am in and out all day long. they hired a new security person so I went through- she wanted my cell phone. I said no- I use it for business and told her I was there all the time. She said I could have it this time but not next time. I told her I was going through as a courtesy and to introduce myself- I work as a title searcher and we don't give up our phones.

every other time I blow by whoever is in line and just wave hi.

Taking things in- don't do it. It's better to take a book and relax. I love jury duty- I still sneak out to search and come back when I have to. When I get picked for a jury, I get excused as I know the judges and attys. Now, I have to be excused as I own my company and I can't be away- financial hardship.

Enjoy your civic duty- its also neat to see how the legal process works and be a part of history in the making.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:10 AM

You can also use dental floss containers to cut thread - they won't be confiscated by TSA or courthouses.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:54 AM

Gee, I can't wait to show up for my first time at the court house after back surgery -- all those alarms are gonna go off BIG TIME with all the metal hardware back there....I used to set the ones off in Kohl's until the manager had the sensitivity changed :oops: