Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Dilemma >
  • Dilemma

• Dilemma

Old 05-27-2010, 07:35 AM

What is a bali pop?
    Old 05-27-2010, 07:48 AM

It almost seems like price fixing. We have 5 or 6 LQS here. I was looking for a specific fabric to match something I was doing. All asked the same price, $9.98. Maybe their supplier sets the price, I am not sure. The same item (and quality) went from $3.98 to 7.98 at various fabric dealers on line. If I can buy it from them at that price, so can LQS's. There is a lot of competition here, but it does not seem to make much difference.
    Hobby Lobby locally has a lot of some of those fabrics at a lower price and offers a 30% in addition. They also have coupons once every other week for fabric, etc. I have purchased fabrics for pillow cases from an LQS. then found the identical item with the same markings on the fabric for almost half. Granted, they probably buy in larger quantities, so it pays to really look around if you have the time.
    Old 05-27-2010, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by ForestHobbit
    In defense of my LQS...Then there is the help when I am stuck and help in choosing appropriate fabrics for certain patterns...I am not against online shopping... As a matter of fact I love shopping on line.
    I shop an online shop that goes the extra mile for their customers. I had a focus fabric that had a color in it I needed and didn't have time to search it out, so I sent an email to my online quilt shop and told them what I needed. Within 1 day they had selected and offered me 2 or three fabrics to choose from. It was awesome!

That aside, I do shop at my LQS once in a great while when I am in a pinch, because they do charge so much. I don't shop at Wal Mart - mostly because it is more convenient to shop online (I only get to Wal Mart once every 3 months or so). I do shop at Joann's when I need notions, or batting or an emergency fabric selection.

I think wherever one is comfortable shopping, is the right place. :-D
    Old 05-27-2010, 10:40 AM

[quote=cjomomma]I agree that's why I shop WM quote]

I'm assuming WM is Wal-mart. Unfortunately, our local store is cutting down on fabric and some have eliminated fabric all together. What ARE WE going to do?
    Old 05-27-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I think the shop has a too high profit margin.
    Average rent for a quilt shop is about $1500-$2500 in our town. That does not include utilities, supplies, payroll, insurance, and incidentals. Not even counting the initial srt up costs. How many yards of fabric do they have to sell to cover their operating costs? A lot. I am not a shop owner but I can understand their plight. Where I used to live, I was loyal to a shop because of the service, the help I could get when I had a problem, and other perks. Because of Ike I do not have a local quilt shop, so I have been buying some on line. My favorite now is Missouri Star Quilt because it is a real shop, prices are a little more reasonable, great service, fast shipping, and I appreicate their tutorials. I also know if I have a problem they would be able to help.

For the quilters that only can afford Walmart fabric, I think they have decent fabric, so go for it! Remember that they sell in such volume, that they can charge a lot less.
    Old 05-27-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by cinnya
    Originally Posted by renee765
    Whenever this discussion of Walmart vs LQS fabrics gets going, someone always has to say the following, and it looks like it might be my turn this time:

It would be a wonderful world if we could all afford the best of what we want, but life doesn't work out that way. Some of us only have limited funds to spend on fabric and other quilting items. For us, it feels like we are being told that we are 'not as good' as other quilters because we cannot or choose not to spend high prices on LQS fabrics. I have bought crummy fabric at an LQS and great fabric at Walmart. It CAN happen. You just have to be very careful about what you spend your money on.

While I'm on a roll - I have quit going to quilting classes for a very similar reason. I got tired of being told that I had to buy an expensive machine like a Janome or Bernina. As I sat at my table with my cheap Brother that works like a charm and always puts out just as nice quilts as the people with the expensive machines, I got really discouraged at driving home after the class feeling like the poor kid from the wrong side of the tracks.

We all have preferences, we all have limits as to what we can afford. Let's rejoice in the projects others make, and not focus on how much anything costs. Quality is in the heart, not the price tag.

I will now step down and go stand in the corner.
    I totally agree with you. :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Three cheers and AMEN, Sister!
    Old 05-27-2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Woodster
    Whenever this discussion of Walmart vs LQS fabrics gets going, someone always has to say the following, and it looks like it might be my turn this time:

It would be a wonderful world if we could all afford the best of what we want, but life doesn't work out that way. Some of us only have limited funds to spend on fabric and other quilting items. For us, it feels like we are being told that we are 'not as good' as other quilters because we cannot or choose not to spend high prices on LQS fabrics. I have bought crummy fabric at an LQS and great fabric at Walmart. It CAN happen. You just have to be very careful about what you spend your money on.

While I'm on a roll - I have quit going to quilting classes for a very similar reason. I got tired of being told that I had to buy an expensive machine like a Janome or Bernina. As I sat at my table with my cheap Brother that works like a charm and always puts out just as nice quilts as the people with the expensive machines, I got really discouraged at driving home after the class feeling like the poor kid from the wrong side of the tracks.

We all have preferences, we all have limits as to what we can afford. Let's rejoice in the projects others make, and not focus on how much anything costs. Quality is in the heart, not the price tag.

Well said. Remember no one can make us feel less without our permission. I think that was from Eleanor Roosevelt. Snobs are everywhere and they usually have to have the best money can buy to make them feel good about themselves. I feel sorry for those people, they will never have peace. That is not to say, that all peoople who buy the best are snobs.
    Old 05-27-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by galvestonangel
    Originally Posted by Woodster

Well said. Remember no one can make us feel less without our permission. I think that was from Eleanor Roosevelt. Snobs are everywhere and they usually have to have the best money can buy to make them feel good about themselves. I feel sorry for those people, they will never have peace. That is not to say, that all peoople who buy the best are snobs.
    There is a difference, though, in proclaiming you only buy the best - and buying the best and keeping your mouth shut about it unless someone wants to know! My mom has a neighbor who ONLY buys her plants at the most overpriced nursery in the region and tells everyone she sees about it. Of course, she's like that with everything she buys/has/did/does or will buy/have/do in the future! No one can stand being around her.
    Old 05-27-2010, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I think the shop has a too high profit margin.
    do you know what they pay in rent/mortgage?? how about thier labor costs?? or god forbid, what they have to pay for medical insurance?? several shops here have had to close, because they couldn't make the overhead...

if you don't know what the shop owner's numbers are, how can you say their profit margin is too high?
    Old 05-27-2010, 03:10 PM

you don't need to go stand in a corner, because you are exactly right!! i raised my first 2 kids alone, working 2 jobs & doing the laundry, including the cloth diapers by hand in the bathtub... i used old clothes, old sheets, and whatever scraps my grandmothers (both dressmakers of a sort) tossed me... and was glad to be able to create anything.