Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dilemma >

Dilemma

Dilemma

Old 05-25-2010, 12:06 PM

This is why it is sometimes difficult to support local quilt shops. I called one nearby today about Bali Pops. They want $39 per set + 9.25% sales tax. On line I found them for as low as $23 + shipping and several places were just under $30. When you want 6 sets, the difference REALLY adds up.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:07 PM

I would tell them where I found them and how much and see if they will match or come close to the lower price. :-D
Old 05-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

I know what you mean, and with the economy being like it is, you have to go with what you can afford.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:10 PM

I fully agree, the local LQS here has nothing under $12 a yard, and all FQs are $2.99
We are working on buying our home, and as much as i love quilting, i would have to quit if i had to pay that much. To me, our home is more important :D
Old 05-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I agree that's why I shop WM even tho I can't stand it and I get a headache everytime I go in there. Got to save as much as I can. Now they are carrying some Batik's for $3.95 a yard that beats $10.00 a yard any day.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

I know, sigh....I've been looking at rummage sales, but its so hard to find fabric at rummage sales!
Old 05-25-2010, 12:39 PM

Yes isnt it amazing how much Bali pops vary. On top of that, there are several in the pack that are just plain UGLY. I needed six packs for my Bali wedding quilt. I bought them but I am cutting them differently so I dont have to use the ugly ones.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I agree that's why I shop WM even tho I can't stand it and I get a headache everytime I go in there. Got to save as much as I can. Now they are carrying some Batik's for $3.95 a yard that beats $10.00 a yard any day.
I have seen those batiks in walmart and they are most definitely not the same quality as what I pay $10 per yard for at my LQS.

However batiks I have bought on line at Fabric Depot, Thousands of bolts for around $5 per yard are.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
I would tell them where I found them and how much and see if they will match or come close to the lower price. :-D
I agree - since they are independently owned, they should work with you to try to keep your business. If they don't, then you know not to rely on them for much.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:46 PM

I do not own, nor never will most likely, a quilt shop - but I do know that they have to keep the doors open - the online stores maybe are in a home or a less expensively rented warehouse... LQS's DO make money and can go down in prices sometimes, but we can't expect them to not make money - it is a business. I know we all know this - the price of fabric is higher because of all the 'middle men' it has to go through to get to the LQS's. My husband and I do own another kind of store and do sometimes offer discounts, but we can't put food on our table if we do it too often.