Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dilemma >

Dilemma

Dilemma

Old 05-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

I think the shop has a too high profit margin.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Linda B
This is why it is sometimes difficult to support local quilt shops. I called one nearby today about Bali Pops. They want $39 per set + 9.25% sales tax. On line I found them for as low as $23 + shipping and several places were just under $30. When you want 6 sets, the difference REALLY adds up.
Here in Canada my LQS wants 54.95 per bali pop. I can order them online and get two including shipping for that price. And I figure if I can get them that cheap, so can they. I like to support them but I just can't when they're charging that much. I seldom buy anything there unless they're having a sale.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

WalMart does not sell batiks at all, but tie dye fabric to look like batiks. The best quality fabric Walmart sells is the Quilt of the Month fabric. I have one yard of David Textile's print sold there, folded and machined quilted that I have put in every load of clothes I have washed for over a month. Some bleach loads. I'm doing my own experiement. So far the fabric may be a little faded next to the new but not weaken at all. No shredding at the seams. I'm perfectly pleased with it for all make and use quilts. For my heirloom pass down and never use keep hands off quilt I will buy the $12 a yard fabric.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:28 PM

Be careful buying Bali pops period. There have been lots of threads if you do a search...many are cut so wonky they're not useable:
Old 05-25-2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
WalMart does not sell batiks at all, but tie dye fabric to look like batiks. The best quality fabric Walmart sells is the Quilt of the Month fabric. I have one yard of David Textile's print sold there, folded and machined quilted that I have put in every load of clothes I have washed for over a month. Some bleach loads. I'm doing my own experiement. So far the fabric may be a little faded next to the new but not weaken at all. No shredding at the seams. I'm perfectly pleased with it for all make and use quilts. For my heirloom pass down and never use keep hands off quilt I will buy the $12 a yard fabric.
According to the definition of Batik...
WalMart does sell Batiks.
Due to modern advances in the textile industry, the term has been extended to include fabrics that incorporate traditional batik patterns even if they are not produced using the wax-resist dyeing techniques.

regardless of what they are called... they are pretty :D
and for those of us that cant spend $12 a yard, they work quite well :D
My oldest daughter still has the quilt i made her before she was born, with WalMart fabric... and it has been overly well loved and washed hundreds of time.
I understand that many dont like it, but for some WalMart is the difference between being able to do what you love and laying in bed staring at the ceiling tiles :D
Old 05-25-2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
i buy what i can i only get a month to month pay and only could afford 2.00 and 3.00 dollar yards i only do for my family that why i stay with store that i can afford like WAL_ MART
Old 05-25-2010, 02:24 PM

I look at it like this. If it is going to be an heirloom or put in a show (which I would never do), then only top quality is what I would do. If some 9 year old is going to sleep under it with a dog on top of it (which I always hope my quilts are used) then I would go for the best of the cheapest.

Personally, I buy LQS batiks but I would not say they are the only thing there is. I just like the colors.

My Walmart does not have fabric. I use Joann's and Hancock's fabrics for charity quilts or craft projects. I am under no illusion, that 100 (or even 10) years from now, that quilt I made will be a priced family possession. My Mom is the only one that has ever kept one that I gave her long term and it certainly wasnt because the work was museum quality.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:29 PM

PS you can hit some really good sales at LQS, especially if you get on their email lists. This weekend it's 2-5 dollars a yard for clearance.

Back to the original Bali pops thing, selling them for full retail is just silly because you can get them cheaper in a thousand places.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Sorry I mentioned WM selling anything. I don't know why ppl have to argue over this topic. Frankly it is getting on my nerves.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:59 PM

sometimes it is just snob attitude. I've never been in a LQS, but I do know that I would not be able to pay $12 or more a yard for quilt fabric. After all, said quilt may or may not turn out the way I'd like. I plan to buy at the store that has fabrics I like, rather it is WM, Hancocks or JOanns. If it lasts for years and years, wonderful, but if it doesn't, at least the person I give it too will have it for awhile.