Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Help with my dry beans! >

Help with my dry beans!

Help with my dry beans!

Old 08-07-2010, 08:35 AM

The problem could have been many things after reading everyones suggestions. I've always just cooked regular beans in my crockpot, never with tomato sauce or spices, etc. This time I was cooking baked beans and I had put everything in the pot at once, so that may have been the problem plus they had been in my pantry about a year. So many things going against those beans! :) Anyway, I gave that batch to the outside dogs, they loved them, and made a second batch. This was before I had read many of these responses, so second batch turned out much like the first. This time I kept them, to much to waste again. The next day, determined to eat the beans, I reheated a bowl in the microwave with a cover over the bowl and they softened right up! Who would have thought after all that prep & cooking for 2 days was cleared up in the microwave? Next time I will have everyones suggestions to consider before wasting all that time & money! :lol:
Thanks to everyone for your help! :)
Old 08-07-2010, 01:39 PM

Hi, I've cooked a lot of dried beans and found that if I added any type of tomato, juice, stewed, canned or what ever to the beans they never got soft enough to eat. So now I cook mine first then add tomato whatever to them. Dee
Old 12-10-2010, 08:52 AM

just keep cooking then. I am going to the kitchen now to soak beans over night to make bean soup. Will let you know tomorrow how it tu8rns out. Marifromokee
Old 12-10-2010, 08:58 AM

my beans are soup beans. I put a can of chicken broath and they will soak overnite. Rgwn I will cook them all daY tomorroy with celery carrots and onion. I put a few Pasta noodles when soup is done I had a problem the other day with black eyed peas. It took overnite cooking. I do not know why. [email protected]
Old 12-12-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by sweet
I've had that happen when I used a large bag of red beans. I think that they do get old. Now I only get the 1 lb packages of my favorite brand and they are fine!
I have had beans do the same thing. I read somewhere that beans do get old so I try not to store them for longer than 3-4 months. .
Old 12-12-2010, 05:37 PM

ditto. happened to me once also. i think the beans were just too old. only once in 40 yrs, that i can remember.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:22 PM

Beans get old but as far as going bad I don’t think there is a problem unless they have been exposed to moisture. I have cooked pinto beans that were stored in a large 50 gal metal can that was kept in a barn in southeastern Arizona. I never soak my beans I just pick through them and wash them clean. Put in large pot of cold water and cook on stove top with lid on for about 3hrs or until tender. Then add what ever I need to flavor them and simmer for about 1hr or less. Sometimes I will use my presser cooker if I want to get them done faster. Ever winter I can my pintos and then I have beans to use for refried or chili or whatever in the hotter months of the year. I don’t have to spend time and heat up the house cooking all day. Canning my beans in the cooler months warms the house.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by sew_southern
I've been cooking dry beans in my slow cooker for 10 hrs., making baked beans. I haven't used dry beans in a few years so decided to try them again. I soaked them overnight and they've cooked in my sauce all day, they are as hard as they were this morning! What is the problem? Do beans go bad and not cook right? At this point we'll be having tonights dinner tomorrow night.
Has anyone mentioned not adding salt until the beans are almost done? This is kind of important. I made Lima Bean Soup today and didn't salt it until the beans were getting soft.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:51 AM

If the pintos are dark I don't buy them. I now buy my pintos from a meat market that sells the freshest, newest beans in the state.
I soak them over night. I preheat my crock pot starting with warm water. Then I place a clove of garlic with them and it helps them cook really soft and tasty, my DH loves them. In the pressure cooker I also add the garlic and again a great taste.

I always cook the pintos separate then add them to my green or red chile stew or other dish I'm serving. Hope this helps. :thumbup: MM
Old 01-10-2011, 05:22 PM

I have read all these suggestions and will keep them in mind the next time I make beans in the slow cooker. Thanks so much for all the input. Y'all are a great bunch of cooks/quilters! :):)