Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Idea - Large Pressing Board >

Idea - Large Pressing Board

Idea - Large Pressing Board

Old 09-06-2010, 05:05 AM

[/quote]
I have wool/cotton blend will that be alright? Can I share it with friends? I will say you gave it to us.[/quote]

I've only used cotton, I'm assuming that any natural fiber would be okay, but have never personally tried it. :)

You can share this with whomever you want, like I said it's not my original idea. Just passing along a great tip that was given to me. :)
Old 09-06-2010, 10:24 AM

Thanks for your great idea...I had thought of something similar but the idea of padding it sounds even better. I'm really tickled to see a guy who enjoys the wonderful fabric arts. Would love to see some of your work. Keep up the great hints.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Dee

Thanks for the great tute. Have joy quilting.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:03 PM

And here's a junior version DIY pressing mat. It wasn't that difficult to make but did require a second pair of hands and a bit of brute force behind the staple gun. Thanks DH :-)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-112767.jpe  
Old 09-06-2010, 02:13 PM

A couple of months ago I was in the mood to make a board large enough to iron the width of fabric. I debated about going to the local home improvement store to get my board. Then I had one of those moments. (Light bulb) My husband inherited some very long covered bulletin boards from his old office. The ones they use in cubicls. I covered it with my leftover 100% cotton batting. Then I had some muslin and used that. I too leave mine on my ironing board all the time. I only use it for ironing my fabric. K 8-)
Old 09-06-2010, 02:42 PM

Thank You Michael. I know a few people who would like the idea of a pressing board. I will do mine as soon as I finish sorting out the sewing room AGAIN.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by steelecg
Wonderful - thanks for posting
:lol:
Old 09-17-2010, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by miholmes
Originally Posted by mackpenny
That is a great pressing board. I am going to copy your design just as soon as I can order some inexpensive cotton batting. I have 1 of those really small apartment ironing boards. This will be like moving from a tent to a penthouse!!!
Well I did get to use it today when I was pressing fabric for a "Cheese & Crackers" quilt. I will say....it REALLY helped cut down my pressing time. I was kinda excited because I was able to get the pressing done with and on to the cutting very quickly. :)
You bet! I love mine and have had it for a couple of years now. But, I didn't drill any holes or add the aluminum foil layer to it. I figured I'd just replace the top if it ever became necessary, as it'd be pretty well ratty/ugly/dirty by then anyway. But, I've had no problems with heat, steam or warping. My iron really produces the heat and steam. So, I'm not certain the absence of drilled holes or foil will be a problem or if that's someone's idea of a 'just in case' fix :)

I wanted to say I'm also working on a Cheese & Crackers with 30's fabric :) Easy pattern...but it feels like it takes forever! I saw one hanging in our LQS that was brights on a black background...it was cute :)

Nice room! I'd sure like to have that much space :)
Old 09-22-2010, 12:38 AM

where did you get that cutting from ie what shop did you buy it from
Old 09-22-2010, 01:11 AM

cool. Now if I could only find a man to build it for me! I really like it. Thanks