Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Idea - Large Pressing Board >

Idea - Large Pressing Board

Idea - Large Pressing Board

Old 09-04-2010, 06:42 PM

I made a pressing surface similar to this several years ago. I used an old woolen "navy" blanket (like an olive drab "army" blanket only off-white in color) to cover it. This makes a wonderful ironing surface and yes, it's great to be able to press full width fabric pieces.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:32 PM

That is a really cool idea. The only ironing board I have is one of those over the door & it takes forever to iron my fabric. Thank you for the tute! Also your sewing space is very neat & clean. Makes mine look really bad!
Old 09-04-2010, 08:34 PM

Great job!
But I like a longer board because when I buy fabric it's in 3yard lengths most of the time, and that leaves me with one question, "Where or how to store a longer board when I don't have space to leave it out" That brought me to my own answer which I thought I'd share.

Instead of one long piece of wood 48" long, I would use two that are hinged (using a flat type of hinge) together so it could be folded away when not in use. You could also put folding legs on each end for added support. And like someone mentioned earlier, put rails on the under side so the center would sit on your normal ironing board.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:48 PM

I have a board made for me but my DH covered it with two heavy blankets instead of batting. Works great.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:50 AM
MNM

I have one of these. Mine is covered with that silver reflective material. I love it. It is so old that it is ready to be recovered. I have had it over 8 years and I do a lot of ironing when I quilt. Mine fits over the ironing board and I leave it there all the time. I use it to iron our clothes and everything else that might need touching up.
MNM
Old 09-05-2010, 10:13 AM

Thank you!
Old 09-05-2010, 12:58 PM

Thanks for the great idea

Granny k
Old 09-05-2010, 04:47 PM

I am bookmarking this and hope to make it next summer for my new sewing room!! Thanks!
Old 09-05-2010, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the tut Michael. I am sure this helps the newbies and the oldies alike. I bought an ironong board at Goodwill a few weeks ago for $1.50 and it looks brand new. Goes up and down really well as well as stays upright with weight to top. I forgot I had DH put it in the garage just for making this top for it. Out of sight out of mind!
Guess I better see if I have enough batting available to do this.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by miholmes
Originally Posted by dakotamaid
Great idea. Only one comment on batting, shouldn't the batting be cotton or cotton blend, wouldn't poly batting melt from the heat?
That's a good question, and it should be 100% cotton batting. I know some people have also used Inst lbrite, but I just do a double layer of 100% cotton batting. You don't want any poly as it melts, as you mentioned. :)

In the "what you need" list it says 100% cotton batting, but I didn't include that tit-bit in the rest of the instructions. ;)
I have wool/cotton blend will that be alright? Can I share it with friends? I will say you gave it to us.