Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
She's 13... it's gonna be a long 7 years... help? >

She's 13... it's gonna be a long 7 years... help?

She's 13... it's gonna be a long 7 years... help?

Old 09-24-2010, 08:21 PM
Banned

If you haven't read my PDA then I suggest you do. Life is short I almost lost my DD last year due to a senseless act of violence. My DD will never be the same. Unless your DD is walking out the door butt naked I would leave her alone. Does it matter what she dresses like or how much make up she where???? Not really, is it that you want people to think she is a good girl?? In that case those who know her will know what type of a girl she is like, the clothes and makeup she wears is not who she is. If you don't want her to give the wrong image to people does it really matter what others think???????? Hug her and enjoy her as she is, if you think she is a rebel or not in the long run as long as she is safe who the heck cares how she dresses or what others think of how she dresses. Once again read my PDA , you are sweating the small stuff, I say LEAVE HER ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You will both be better off if you do.

and as a side note in 7 years she will be 20 she is an adult at 18 and you should not be controlling her then so you don't have 7 years you have 5.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:27 PM

I haven't read all the posts. I am the one with the 14 year old son. Trying to tell him that these girls are just like him. Trying to figure it all out. Don't judge a book by it's cover. Talk to them. Figure out if you like them as a friend. Friends are important. Don't do something to a friend that would hurt them. Think.

I hope he does.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:27 PM
Banned

Lots of alcohol, Zanax, Valium, and if you can still feel your face then you need to go back for round two!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Billy
Old 09-24-2010, 09:17 PM

I have 3 daughters. Praise the Lord that I don't have daughters to raise now!!! They never went with the garish makeup. Sometimes there clothes left a lot to be desired but we didn't have much so most of their clothes were home made. Every time I went thru a major battle I thought I would know what to do with the next one that went thru that. Guess what!! None of them ever did the same things. They all had their own little tricks! When they left home they didn't have to see me if they didn't choose to and so I didn't see them very often. It seems that it took each one of them to become about 25 before they turned into real people. My youngest was a friend, I thought, after she had been married and divorced but about 8 or so years later she told me that she had always hated me and if I thought we were friends I was wrong, that she was putting on an act. So I let her go. If she was mine she would come back. Well, she was 45 yrs old before she decided to mend the fence. You can nevr really make someone do something they don't want to do. They have to decide to do it. I too almost lost my oldest daughter last year. She who had never been sick developed a life threatening illness. Was in hosp. for months and is still not back to normal. I can overlook or forgive just about anything to just have her alive. Both my sisters had all boys, I had the girls. A friend of mine who had 5 sons and wanted a girl, adopted a little girl. She told me that her boys were much easier to raise. The girl was a sweet little angel until she got to puberty, then she turned into an evil horrible monster. She wished she had not adopted her. My youngest was like that. The morning she woke up and was 13, she turned into that evil monster. She went to bed my sweet girl and woke up an alien.

Linda
Old 09-24-2010, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Lots of alcohol, Zanax, Valium, and if you can still feel your face then you need to go back for round two!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Billy
lol! Is this advice for all mothers of teenage daughters?
Old 09-24-2010, 09:29 PM

DEFINATELY! ! ! !
Old 09-24-2010, 09:41 PM

Been there, done that. Set up clothes the night before or for the whole week the weekend before. Choose your battles wisely. If the clothing or make-up is disruptive or too revealing put your foot down but if it is just not your style or ugly just grin and bear it. Oh, and take lots of pictures. You will have lots to laugh at and she will undoubtedly be embarassed when you look at those pix in a few years. As long as she won't be injured in some way by her actions let her have as much freedom as she can handle otherwise the more you push the harder she'll push in the opposite direction. The less she has to rebel against the better off you'll be. Both of my daughters were a handful but now at 19 and 24 we're BFF's.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:18 PM

I can totally relate. I have a daughter who is turning 13 next month. She also has a lovely figure and looks much older. It's a difficult age for our daughters and for us. They are trying to find their identity and we don't want to lose our little girls. My daughter is not allowed out of the house if she is wearing revealing clothes. She is only allowed to wear a little bit of makeup and boys are completely out of the question at her age. Hang in there!
Old 09-25-2010, 01:31 AM

We go to high schools every 2 months for blood drives and can see the changing of the tide in clothing fashion. I personally haven't noticed wild make up, that seems to be a middle school event, the little girls love to wear make up, the more the better. That might be subtly pointed out...and shown pictures of LITTLE girls with pounds of make up on their faces they had gleefully put on their cute faces.

There's hope yet, but for parents,especially mothers, the road is still rocky but vitally necessary for us to not be friends exactly, but MOTHERS, first and foremost. A teen ager with no controls can do himself/herself a lot of damage.

Just hang in there, do the best that you can, that's all you can do. That's all anyone can do.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DebraK
Originally Posted by Lostn51

Billy
lol! Is this advice for all mothers of teenage daughters?
Or fathers........:lol:

Billy