Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you design your quilts?  Share your Tips & Tricks with us >

Do you design your quilts? Share your Tips & Tricks with us

Do you design your quilts? Share your Tips & Tricks with us

Old 10-10-2010, 05:23 PM

If you don't know EQ6 then EQ7 would probably be just as hard for you to learn. They do have some great tutorials within the program, but you don't get a chance to ask questions. When I first got EQ I took some of the classes at http://www.quiltuniversity.com/ They were great... you could ask questions if you didn't understand something, but the teacher was very good a explaining how to use the program. And there are different levels, so as you get better you can take more advanced classes.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:34 PM

I started out with EQ5, then EQ6, then EQ7. I occasionally will draw out a design on paper (when I am "killing" time somewhere) but then it ends up in EQ. I haven't made a quilt in years that was not drafted out first in EQ. I have found the program easy to use and when I need to figure something out, I open the book or look at the tutorial. (I have a degree in technology, so being able to integrate my comuter knowledge with my hobby has been so much fun. I find I spend as much time on my computer designing as I do actually making quilts.)
Old 10-10-2010, 05:58 PM

I use EQ7 (love it!) for most of my designing these days. I've been an EQ user for a long time, each version gets better and has more capabilities than I will probably ever use. I do still sketch out some of my designs on paper, especially if I'm having a hard time visualizing how to draw something in EQ... but I love the fact that I can "see" my quilt before I start by using quilting software.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:00 PM

I bought Quilt-Pro Version 2 for Macintosh several years ago. Had a lot of fun with it, but haven't used it lately. It was wonderful for printing patterns complete with 1/4" seam allowance, adjusting sizes, sashings and borders, etc. I'm sure it's been updated if it's still around.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:11 PM

I'm still new at quilting so I do my designing either on the cutting table or on graph paper with colored pencils. There is a lot of trial and error involved, believe me. LOL
I don't know the math rules for quilts, except the basic seam allowance ones. With my fibromyalgia, I need to get them in nice clear format and print them up so I can easily refer to them. On foggy days, I can't remember the rules about much of anything. LOL
Old 10-10-2010, 07:00 PM
cjr

Yes. YES! YES! The only times in 1 1/2 years I have used a pattern as per say was my initial quilt in class, and doing a buckeye patter, very similiar to round the world. It is a scrappy quilt with a definite color pattern, needs to be followed row by row. Everyone in my Scrappy group had problems with it including instructor. All turned out beautiful. Usually I do a take off of a specific idea and do my own thing. I enjoy it so much more. I know poeple who can not make as quilt with out a pattern, and they have been quilting much longer then me. The creating part is part of the fun. I guess I am gifted in the design part. I have been designing things all my life, also makes improvising easier.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:12 PM

I bought the first EQ at the Houston Quilt Show way back when and have kept it updated so now am using EQ7. I use it a lot but don't hesitate to rough-draft on plain or graph paper.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:40 PM

I do both. I have EQ6 but sometimes I get frustrated and just draw it out on graph paper. I've only had the EQ for a year so I'm still learning. The graph paper I've been using for a Very Long Time. :lol:
Old 10-10-2010, 10:56 PM

I am amazed that so many of you design your own quilts. I thought unless you were a designer for fabric company everyone just used patterns they found. What exactly is EQ and how does it work? Do you start with a basic pattern like churn dash, nine patch, etc. and go from there? I know I am showing how green I am about quilting but hope you don't mind. :?: :?: :?:
Old 10-11-2010, 02:04 AM

Graph paper if I can find it. Cant afford a program. And they always end up altered in some way, so I keep a diary of them start to finish.