Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bias Tape Makers >
  • Bias Tape Makers

• Bias Tape Makers

Old 11-15-2010, 09:39 AM

I read an article on Missour Quilts about binding, it saves work and makes the finished product look better. Cut (I use 2" strips, either bias or straight of grain), attach strips together, do not iron on center fold. Attach the two raw edges, to the front quilt raw edge, fold to back and attach by hand. The binding on the front side takes more because of 1/4" seem when attaching. When ironed and creased, it allows more even amount to bring to back. Does that make sense? It works well for me.
    Old 11-15-2010, 09:44 AM

i use the little clover gadget, it's great!
    your project has lots of tight corners, so make sure you make/use BIAS tape b/c it will stretch & work better around corners=less frustration!

here's a great tip to making tape. be aware this tutorial {posted in the "links&resources section"} is for 1.75" bias:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-73074-1.htm
    Old 11-15-2010, 09:45 AM

If you go to missouristarquilts.com she features in one of her tute's a great ruler that makes yards of binding from just 1/2 yard of material. I bought the ruler and it works great. Give me one second and I'll find the name of the ruler for you.

Ok it's the Simpli-Ez Bias Ruler by Susan Brown and it's super easy to use and makes bias from 1/4 all the way up to 2 1/2 inches. The video on the website for Missouri Star Quilts shows the super easy method for using. http://tutorials.missouriquiltco.com/last.php
    Old 11-15-2010, 09:49 AM
    Gal

I have a metal one I use it for stems on applique flowers or celtic knots etc, it was inexpensive, very easy to use and works like a treat, I also know it comes in many sizes which I would not use, the brand is 'Birch'. This product IMHO would be a good to add to your quilting tools, I am definately not a gadget person and do not buy or collect those type of quilting gizmos, I simply use a ruler, cutting board, rotary cutter, template plastic, machine and hand sewing, bias maker and quilting hoop, thats it!

Gal
    Old 11-15-2010, 09:55 AM

a friend let me try hers and I really loved it. It's on my Christmas wish list for sure. I don' think you will be disappointed. Enjoy.
    Old 11-15-2010, 10:35 AM

I have some of these in various sizes. I really do like them and you can use them with straight of grain strips too.
    Originally Posted by Minda
    I'm not sure if these are what you are asking about but, if they are, I have a friend who uses them and loves them. You can also get them in wider sizes.

http://www.clover-usa.com/product/26...as_Tape_Makers
    Old 11-15-2010, 11:14 AM

I have one of those bias tape makers, I got it from ebay for about $80.00 which included shipping.
    I see other places have them on sale for less than the suggested price of $100.00
    I love mine, you can make tape to match material of your quilt etc. They work better on some materials than on others but either way I am glad I got mine.
    You can also get extra rollers to wrap you material around.
    This save you from having to stop and wind each time the roll is finished. that way I make up lots while I have the "iron hot", so to speak,

There are also ones that you pull the fabric thru by hand and then iron by hand ,as it comes out, Those cost a lot less.
    Check out JoAnn's and the use the discount coupons
    Old 11-15-2010, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by prayerquilts
    http://sharonschambernetwork.com/Cla...d-Binding.aspx

This is a really long class, I've only watch the first half, but in the beginning she shows a method of making bias tape I'd never seen before...lots of starch and different folding.
    What a satisfying tutorial! :thumbup: Thanks for sharing it.
    Old 11-15-2010, 12:58 PM

Goddess, you definitely need the Simplicity Bias Tape Maker with different sized tips. I love mine and use it often. Check out eBay for a much cheaper price.
    Old 11-15-2010, 03:10 PM

I have the Simplicity Bias Tape maker and I purchased some extra tips. I feel it saves me time and a whole lot of ironing. I think it is probably one of the best notions I've purchased.

Rhonda