Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bias Tape Makers >

Bias Tape Makers

Bias Tape Makers

Old 11-15-2010, 05:48 AM

Clover make a 1/4" one - it's no. 6.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:02 AM

I use the clover bias makers for applique for vines and stems - also for stain glass wall hangings - for binding I wouldn't use them - for binding it is easiest to just cut the size you need fold in half press and sew on your quilt.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by kdoublea
I have the Simplicity Bias Maker and really like it, but I have been waiting for a long time for the company to produce the narrow 1/4" tip - some kind of manufacturing problem apparently. Several other sizes of tips are available. This method folds both sides of the fabric strip in towards the center of the strip so the resulting bias is actually single thickness except along the edges. The technique which uses bias bars gives a different look as the bias strip becomes 3 or 4 thicknesses of fabric after folding, stitching, re-pressing, etc. I actually like the look of the thicker bias but it really depends on how it's going to be used and your personal preference as to the finished look. I make lots of bias because I love to make Celtic designs (and teach it!) and Stained Glass type of designs.
I think I had seen that one on the Wal-Mart website (was looking into buying a new sewing machine). I wonder if I still get my discount if I buy off the website.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Somerset Val
Clover make a 1/4" one - it's no. 6.
That's actually a good piece of info to know. Don't know how big the leading will be once the images are enlarged, but some of it on that one image looked extremely thin.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I've never used one but don't know if you mean the electric ones or the little plastic holders/folders. My current quilt has yards and yards of vine so I got one of those little plastic ones that you can also put the fusible tape on at the same time. Haven't used it yet but I really hope it works well.
I have the metal ones is several sizes. Had them for years and love 'em. Also have the one you can add iron on tape.

My ASG group was given a demo at JoAnn's during one of our meetings and we all agreed the machine was way too expensive for what it does and you'd have to make an awful lot of binding to pay for it. Rather buy fabric. Making binding is a good TV project.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I have bought mine from Joanns. I am picking up more of them here and there for future projects. They have worked well for me :D:D:D

By the way! I love that Zelda image! I can't wait to see the quilt :D:D:D
Me too. Or the other 8 wall hangings for that matter. Going to be a lot of bias tape and a lot of watercolor fabric.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:38 AM

I have several sizes of the kind you insert your strip in one end, pull thru and press it as it comes out the other end. They work well, however with this method you are making a one layer bias binding. This might not be heavy enough to bind a quilt, that will be used and washed many times. I've used this to bind terry cloth napkins and it works fine or to make a casing to insert elastic thru for a garment. I would not use this on a quilt tho, myself. Just my opinion.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:39 AM

I bought the bias maker & really love it but you can go one step further & buy a binding foot what a world of difference & ther binding foot doesn't cost but about $25.00 . Now I don't mind binding anymore. Look into it . Happy Quilting.shrabar
Old 11-15-2010, 07:06 AM

I have a machine and never use it - The part that determines the size of the binding that came with the machine is not the right size and it really is easy to just make the binding you need -
Old 11-15-2010, 07:08 AM

I have a machine and never use it - The part that determines the size of the binding that came with the machine is not the right size and it really is easy to just make the binding you need -