Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bias Tape Makers >

Bias Tape Makers

Bias Tape Makers

Old 11-14-2010, 07:39 AM

Thanks for asking this. I'm also curious to know whether this is a worthwhile investment or not. I cut long continuous bias for all my binding and have used it often enough that I'm now able to do binding easily but still find myself spending way too much time over a hot iron making bias tape for other things.
While people are answering, can you talk about single and double fold bias tape as well? I would like to know if these machines make both. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Minda
I'm not sure if these are what you are asking about but, if they are, I have a friend who uses them and loves them. You can also get them in wider sizes.

http://www.clover-usa.com/product/26...as_Tape_Makers
I have these too, and they are great to make stems for applique!
Old 11-14-2010, 10:43 AM

I have 2 old metal ones that work nicely. I don't use much bias tape, but of course late at night I need some that I don't have, so it's easy to make it myself. Them being metal, I don't have to worry about touching the iron to plastic which gums up the iron. Don't ask me how I know that little fact....
Old 11-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by prayerquilts
http://sharonschambernetwork.com/Cla...d-Binding.aspx

This is a really long class, I've only watch the first half, but in the beginning she shows a method of making bias tape I'd never seen before...lots of starch and different folding.
Wow! This answers why her quilts are made to perfection! I learned a lot watching this video.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
I saw it demonstrated recently and it was impressive. However, probably not worth it unles you do a lot of bias tape
Then I might need it then. I'm doing a series of wall hangings replicating the stained glass windows of the sages found in the sword area in the game Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. There should be seven of them (seven sages) and I think two more two extra (I think one is depicting the evil guy, Ganon)...anyways, they have a lot of lead piping in different sizes.

Here's a link to the picture of the window depicting the Forest Sage:http://www.zeldawiki.org/images/thum...x-SariaTWW.png
Old 11-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

That's a lot of bias! You need the bias machine. You can also add any fusible tape to bias and have the machine fuse it to the bias for you.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:09 PM

Silly question time...what is the difference between bias tape and binding? Is bias tape used for binding?
Old 11-14-2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
Silly question time...what is the difference between bias tape and binding? Is bias tape used for binding?
I'm not sure if there is a difference either (gotta love being a beginner and forgetting all the technical stuff). However, what I do know is not all binding is cut on the bias on the fabric.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

I think we may be talking about two different kinds of bias strips here.

Most of us use a strip of fabric folded in half and sewn onto our quilts, turn over to the other side and sew it down by hand or machine.

The bias strip makers (like binding tape) fold the edges in to the middle of the strip. These work great for stained glass, vines and such.
However, these only put a single layer of fabric on the edges of a quilt. This will not wear as long as a double thickness of fabric will :wink: The double thickness is only on the sides of these. :D:D:D JMHO
Old 11-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
Originally Posted by Holice
I saw it demonstrated recently and it was impressive. However, probably not worth it unles you do a lot of bias tape
Then I might need it then. I'm doing a series of wall hangings replicating the stained glass windows of the sages found in the sword area in the game Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. There should be seven of them (seven sages) and I think two more two extra (I think one is depicting the evil guy, Ganon)...anyways, they have a lot of lead piping in different sizes.

Here's a link to the picture of the window depicting the Forest Sage:http://www.zeldawiki.org/images/thum...x-SariaTWW.png
For this type of quilt, the bias tape makers that you use with your iron are well worth the few $$ they cost. They come in a multitude of sizes too.

If you lightly starch your fabric before cutting, and then roll the pressed bias strips around a toilet paper center, they will hold their shape forever. And they store easier and neater too.

You can make a LOT of bias tape in little time with these little tools :D:D:D