Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bias Tape Makers >

Bias Tape Makers

Bias Tape Makers

Old 11-14-2010, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
Originally Posted by Holice
I saw it demonstrated recently and it was impressive. However, probably not worth it unles you do a lot of bias tape
Then I might need it then. I'm doing a series of wall hangings replicating the stained glass windows of the sages found in the sword area in the game Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. There should be seven of them (seven sages) and I think two more two extra (I think one is depicting the evil guy, Ganon)...anyways, they have a lot of lead piping in different sizes.

Here's a link to the picture of the window depicting the Forest Sage:http://www.zeldawiki.org/images/thum...x-SariaTWW.png
For this type of quilt, the bias tape makers that you use with your iron are well worth the few $$ they cost. They come in a multitude of sizes too.

If you lightly starch your fabric before cutting, and then roll the pressed bias strips around a toilet paper center, they will hold their shape forever. And they store easier and neater too.

You can make a LOT of bias tape in little time with these little tools :D:D:D
What would be the best one to use? I know there are several different brands of them and wouldn't know which one to go for.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

I have bought mine from Joanns. I am picking up more of them here and there for future projects. They have worked well for me :D:D:D

By the way! I love that Zelda image! I can't wait to see the quilt :D:D:D
Old 11-14-2010, 06:46 PM

Hobby Lobby has them for !00.00 but you can use the 40% off coupon and get it for 60.00. I bought one but haven't plugged it in yet.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:49 AM

There was a post some time ago, search for Making Bias Tape; shows how to make bias tape on an ironing board with a safety pin. Looks interesting - haven't tried it yet, but will.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:17 AM

That glue method is the answer for me.I love it.Thanks BellaBoo.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:22 AM

I have the Simplicity Bias Maker and really like it, but I have been waiting for a long time for the company to produce the narrow 1/4" tip - some kind of manufacturing problem apparently. Several other sizes of tips are available. This method folds both sides of the fabric strip in towards the center of the strip so the resulting bias is actually single thickness except along the edges. The technique which uses bias bars gives a different look as the bias strip becomes 3 or 4 thicknesses of fabric after folding, stitching, re-pressing, etc. I actually like the look of the thicker bias but it really depends on how it's going to be used and your personal preference as to the finished look. I make lots of bias because I love to make Celtic designs (and teach it!) and Stained Glass type of designs.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:42 AM

for binding I prefer French fold binding - lasts longer with its double thickness. Bias tape type is only one thickness.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:44 AM

I've used the clover bias tape maker that you can also add the thin strips of fusible to at the same time. It's a great way to make lots and lots of bias for use in applique like your stained glass project. Not expensive and pretty easy to use.

Added celtic designs to this top last year.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]126623[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-126618.jpe  
Old 11-15-2010, 05:45 AM

I have 5 bias-making gadgets, ranging from 1/8" - 1 3/4" finished width. They are a real boon, especially for smaller projects. I'll have a session at the ironing board making yards of binding in different fabrics and winding them onto card so that they're there ready when I need them!
I haven't heard of electric bias-makers - they're not available in England.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:46 AM
Lyn

Originally Posted by lynndianne
I bought a package of two at the Thrift Store for 50 cents.

Lynn
I like your name. Mine is Lyn Diane. Our mothers knew we were destined for greatness. :)