Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My sewing machine is history! >

My sewing machine is history!

My sewing machine is history!

Old 11-25-2010, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Deborah12687
Originally Posted by ewecansew
What is the rocker arm on a sewing machine? I have been around machine for a long time and have never heard this term.
The rocker arm is what makes the up and down movement of the sewing machine. It was always called a rocker bar years ago and it probley called something else now.
If you're talking about the part closer to the needle, it's called the needle bar; if you mean the curved part that holds the thread as it goes up and down - that's called the 'take-up' lever or take -up bar.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:44 AM

I don't know if this makes a lot of sense but, my Father always told me. "You get what you pay for" meaning if you buy cheap you will probably get cheap. Now I don't go out and spend thousands of dollars for something, but I do try to get good value for what I do spend. I have a Viking that I bought used. It was a trade in when a customer bought a more expensive machine. It works beautifully and has something like 800 stitches on it. I also have a Bernina 930 that I bought the same way. Someone traded in this old workhorse for a machine that had all the bells and whistles. I bought it for $500. It has sewn beautifully for around 8 years now. So my take would be look around at trade in machines. I also think the Janome machines are good, the Gem models are nice and have several friends who use those at classes and retreats. Good luck on your search for your Christmas gift.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:51 AM

I did check at the pawn shops and they had a embroidery machine with lots of stitches to use.....it really tempted me.....it was calling my name........it was in fair shape and the guy at the pawn shop said he would hold it for a week till pay day. He gave me a real good deal on it of $25.00.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:00 AM

I would advise against Singer - Janome or Viking are really good. Since Singer was bought about several years ago by a different company,keeping the Singer name, it is not what it once was.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:06 AM

My sewing machine 'go-to' guy was a Singer dealer but has dropped that brand since Singer has gone into the big box stores. He won't work on any machine that comes from a big box store because of a higher probability of their plastic parts breaking during repair. If a Singer came from a dealer, that may be a different story. I believe the same is true ffor a Brother.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:07 AM

I purchased last year the Singer Quilter, I thing it is 7469Q. Love it and use it all the time.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:09 AM

The machine I have was a trade-in. I happened to call the Janome dealer at the right time. The previous owner hadn't used this machine very long until she decided she wanted an embroidery machine and was going into a cottage business. My 4800 has sewn a lot of quilts, doll clothes, clothes for the grandkids and it's still going. I drool over the newer machines but this one is still doing just fine--and you can tell, since it's a 4800, that I've had it several years. I recommend calling a dealer and see what's available in a good, used machine and then you'll have help if the one you purchase gets goofy.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:53 AM

Happy Thanksgiving. Must be the week for things breaking. Sewing machine quit, iron won't heat, dishwasher quit. Afraid to turn anything on for fear it won't work. I won't be replacing anything soon as S.S don't allow the extra. The sewing machine is what I will miss the most, have three quilts to do for quilts for kids. Just had to vent. Thank You and have a great day>
Old 11-25-2010, 06:54 AM

I agree - shop some of the dealers around and they may have a great deal on a used, refurbished machine. Once found a great Viking that way! Good luck!
Old 11-25-2010, 07:23 AM

I've been looking at the Brother SQ 9000 for $200 at Wal*Mart. Has anyone had experience with it? I was planning to take whatever I got to FL this winter, so I want it to be lightweight. Thanks, everyone - and Happy Thanksgiving.