Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Santa -- wrapped or unwrapped? >

Santa -- wrapped or unwrapped?

Santa -- wrapped or unwrapped?

Old 12-18-2010, 08:23 PM

Ours were always wrapped even the ones in our stocking. Except Santa always left us a big can of nuts, candy and one great big orange. That orange was always a very special treat. We were very poor (I didn't really know that at the time) and oranges were a very special treat because we didn't get them very often.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:30 PM

Just heard about the unwrapped Santa gifts this year ... wow, that sure would have saved alot of time! I like the idea.

We used to buy wrapping paper with santa on it and only use it for gifts from santa. We always had to make sure that none of it was around for the following year. None of the gifts we gave had santa on the gift wrap.

Now that my dd learned about the unwrapped santa gifts, she's thinking of doing it. Her 7yo dd already doesn't believe in santa anymore, but the 3 yo wouldn't know/ remember last year.

so a new tradition is about to begin.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 12-18-2010, 08:44 PM

I grew up with a Santa and the gifts were always wrapped including what was in the stocking.

My husband is Mennonite and never had the joy of Santa until he married me :-) . I was his first Santa and his presents were wrapped in special paper. I got a lot of harrassment over this from an in-law for pagan idols until I explained the "goodness of Santa and the joy of giving" to them and told them to shut up. Can you tell I might not be the most popular in the crowd?

My children's gifts from Santa have always been wrapped in a separate paper that was only used for those gifts. I don't think my kids will admit to ever finding anything early. They didn't want me to know they figured out Santa at all. I knew they had worked it out when they started filling MY stocking.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:51 PM

It is sad that some people don't know about the original St. Nicholas who santa is based on ...

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=167

lots of family traditions originate with St Nick. I would hardly call them 'pagan'

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 12-18-2010, 08:53 PM

ours were always wrapped unless it was something big then it had a big bow on it
Old 12-18-2010, 08:57 PM

Guess I wasn't a very good girl.. neither were my sister or brother because we never ever had anything from Santa..

After I got older I asked my Mom why.. she said they didn't have much money and was not about to give a gift that they couldn't get credit for. Hummm.. and besides, she said, Santa is just a big lie.. why tell a child something that they will find out isn't the truth.. humm...

I don't know. I sort of always wanted Santa to come to our house, he just never did. So wrapped or unwrapped doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is that he can come to your house.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:04 PM

All of our toys from Santa were unwrapped and under the tree or surrounding the tree. The gifts from our parents and other family members were all wrapped. several of our christmas stocking gifts were also wrapped.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:07 PM

Unwrapped!! As a child (many moons ago), I was told by my parents if Santa heard me he would pass by our house and not stop. I believed it, too!!

With my own kids, still unwrapped for large items. Now they have to "play Santa"! Payback is sooooo much fun.

I certainly don't miss those days of getting up at daylight!! HeHe!
Old 12-18-2010, 09:32 PM

Unwrapped. My husband was use to the wrapped, but I won out since I was the one that usually had to get Santa things ready (hubby worked alot on night shift). I think it's best, you know they want to peek which is the fun part.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Power Poster

Ours were always wrapped.