Rice Bags

Old 12-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

oh i live with the one i got at J C Penneys many yrs ago and have another that wraps over my shoulders too.
i bought a shorter version of one at a craft fair and gave it to a friend this Christmas along with a quilt i'd made her.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:14 PM

I have made several and have never noticed a bad smell from rice bags. Could you be overheating it? I know most instructions say two minutes, but one is plenty (the rice stays warm for quite a while). Just use plain white rice, not parboiled, and the cheapest you can find. Aside from that, maybe add some spices, like cinnamon stick pieces and/or whole cloves or allspice.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:17 PM

Put some in a glass or ceramic bowl and try heating them in the MW. If you have one of the newer MWs, though, shorten the heating time, because the wattage is so much higher than for the older ovens. Overheating is a real problem, if you're not aware of that.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pam B
You should try heating the buckwheat shells and let us know if it works ok. I still use my rice bag...I just ignore the odor. But, I know that nobody else uses theirs.
Get some oil of cinnamon and drop a few drops along the length of the stinky rolls and see if that helps.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:55 PM

I make them with corn (feed corn) sold in bags. Love the sweet smell of corn and apparently the corn lasts longer. Love them.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:23 PM

I have been making these for a long time. I started out using soy beans but they scorch easy. The rice makes a moist heat. Now I usually use a combo of rice, lentils, flax and lavender. I love the lavender smell and it is supposed to be soothing. I grow my own lavender so it is "cheap" and I can use as much as I like. I even sewed darts in 2 so they fit on my knees.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by mrspete
I just got home from visiting at my favorite nursing home. While there a friend who knows I piddle in the sewing theme asked me if could make some rice bags. I just stood there with a blank. She showed me a nice little hand made flannel bag with rice inside. She says they heat it in the microwave and wrap it in toweling and put in whereever the complaint......they are so neat. My sore neck is getting one in just a few minutes. Have y'all heard of them? they would be neat with an extra slip of fabric for the hands to slip into. I'm excited and these would be nice for nursing home gifts. Just wanted to talk about it. I'm a happy fabric person.

Blessings,
Ruth
Everytime my grandson comes over he always wants to use my rice bag.... 2 weeks ago, he asked "Grandma, will you make me one of these for Christmas and use wolf material?".....wow!!! :) thAT WAS easy!!! he is getting one with a pillow case as well!!!! :thumbup:
Old 12-24-2010, 08:45 PM

I make 'corn hole' bags for the game corn hole & people have asked me if you could use them for heating pads. I was a little concerned about the fabric getting too hot??? would you use flame retardant fabric?
Old 12-24-2010, 08:54 PM

I just made them as hand warmers for the "little" cousins. I cut 4x4 squares of cotton and folded them in half and sewed all the way around leaving 3/4 inch open to turn them and added heaping 1/2 cup of rice sewed shut and stuffed into a fleece "pillowcase" 1-2 minute in the microwave and they are good for pockets for heating little hands after snowmen and snowball fights. I also made some larger ones for the truck drivers in the family to use to warm the fingers when they had to unload freight by hand. They were greatly appreciated!
Old 12-24-2010, 09:29 PM

My daughter and I made one the other day with a washable
cover for it and we put dried lavendar in it. It smells so good.