Rice Bags

Old 12-25-2010, 03:09 PM

I have had one for at least 6 years and I do mine no longer that 3 mins, I really don't think they will catch fire or explode.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:57 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Can you tell me what the pickling salt is for in the rice bags?

Originally Posted by quilt queen 2
The first ones I made were with oats rice and pickling salt that was about 15 years ago now I make them with rice and pickling salt I don't notice any smell and I have made about 50 bags this way with no odor complaints. We have dry cold winters and usually only a few really humid days in the summer maybe the weather effects the odor?
Old 12-25-2010, 05:23 PM

I use wheat [dried] buy from the local pet store and put a few handfulls of dried lavender in with the wheat. Smells great when heated.

Hazel :-D :-D
Old 12-25-2010, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by duckydo
I have had one for at least 6 years and I do mine no longer that 3 mins, I really don't think they will catch fire or explode.
I have heard of them catching fire, in a hospital, would you believe. I agree with you on the 3 minutes. That's as long as I heat my largest one.
Here in Australia they are referred to as wheat bags. I also have a smaller one with lavender added. I had to buy this for my DGS so he wouldn't take mine.
I recently sewed about 20 Frog shaped ones for the Craft stall my daughter & others were running at my GS school fete. They filled them with rice. Must say I had never heard of this before.
I've never actually made and filled one but have been told that if you ask at the produce store they will guide you on the correct wheat to use.
Having said all this I must say I wouldn't want to do without mine. It was given to me about 12 years ago (after major surgery) and has been used hundreds of times over the years.

P.S. If you are worried about it catching fire stay with it while it is heating.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by iamjanet
Just read a tute yesterday about this. Here's the site:

http://www.make-it-do.com/make-it/ma...y-bed-warmers/

I also have a "Bed Buddy" -- have had it for years, and it works great, although I don't know what's in it.

I'm planning to make some of these with field corn, once I find a source.
Janet
Thank you for that site Janet. I have bookmarked it and intend to spend some time exploring it. She lives in the suburb where I went to high school about 46 years ago.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Pam B
I made a bunch of these several years ago and, to be honest, everyone hated them. The heated rice stinks! I bought one while in Gatlinburg this summer and it is made with cherry pits. It is not stinky at all. I am thinking I will make some with that instead. If anyone has any idea on how to keep the rice from stinking, please share!
I put dried lavender and peppermint in mine, along with the rice or flax seed. Sometimes I spray them with a chamomile linen spray before heating them. I love the smell....I think I will heat one up for my neck and shoulders now. I need to try the hand warmer size....I need one for my hand that uses the mouse....it gets soooo cold!
Old 12-25-2010, 09:08 PM

Oh! That feels sooo good! I made one in a horseshoe shape that stays on my shoulders and across my back below my neck. Right on those muscles that knot up. I took it with me the last time I donated platlets. It kept me warm and toasty.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:39 AM

Been making them forever ,will never be without them.When I make a pillow case make a matching rice bag to go with it.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:57 PM

I just found the bestest website for Rice, Corn, Bed Bags - Bed Buddies. It gives everything you ever wanted to know - and MORE - about bed bags. Seriously, it is a great site with all the safety warnings, suggestions. Lots of reading and very interesting. It also gives patterns.

http://www.microwavecornbags.com/pattern.htm

Pat
Old 12-26-2010, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

Yea I have heard of them but haven't tried them yet.