Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First time at free motion quilting and the needle bit me >

First time at free motion quilting and the needle bit me

First time at free motion quilting and the needle bit me

Old 12-25-2010, 10:59 PM

Ouchie!!!!! I feel your pain. I did the same thing, some time ago, and sewed all the way through my finger, DH had to come take the machine apart to get the needle out. So I know how sore that puppy is going to be, Take some tylenol, wear a rubber cot and keep on a goin'
Old 12-25-2010, 11:07 PM
Jim

OUCH 8 stitches...I got my finger once too and pulled it and yes ripped it..I try to watch now but, I'll probably do it again someday..not looking forward to it..it was sensitive for weeks
Old 12-26-2010, 05:45 AM

Ouch. Take care of that finger and keep it clean.:(
Old 12-26-2010, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

Hate when that happens :)
Old 12-26-2010, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

OUCH!!
Old 12-26-2010, 08:23 AM

OUCH... I know that hurts. Good news is you "only do it once" :)
Old 12-26-2010, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
I've done that before. Really puts a cramp in things you want to do.

I happened to land my longarm needle into my finger once. Instead of lifting the needle I did like all insane people and jerked my hand back. Yep, ripped the finger BUT did not get one drop of blood on the quilt. YIPPEE!

Bandaged the finger and went back to work on the quilt. First Responder friend dropped by for coffee. Seeing the bandage work he wanted to see the injury. He got a bit upset because it was still bleeding and I had injuried it a few hours earlier. Dang it I don't have time to go to the hospital! But, I complied considering my husband went and took up with our friend. I'm not sure if the hospital just wasn't busy or if my friend told the ER doc that he'd better hurry up or I would escape but 1 tetnus shot and 8 stitches in 1 1/2 hours and I was back home!

I was told by the ER doc that since I work with needles, blades and the like I really need to pay attention to keep the tetnus shot up to date.
Yep, me too. Seems to be a more common injury than I would have thought.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:43 AM

Ouch, I feel your pain.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:55 AM

Oh! I am so sorry that happened to you and at such a critical time. It is my understanding that you put both hands around the needle and only quilt a small area at a time. Stop with your needle down and reposition your hands. It is a rhythm that you learn. Sometimes when we are under pressure to finish a project we just move too fast. Lesson learned and we have all had our lessons, believe me.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
OUCH!!! I believe I was around 6 or 7 the first time I ran a needle through my finger. No ripping it out, it was right down through the middle of the nail. Dad had to remove the needle and my finger from the machine. Then he held my hand down with one hand and pulled the needle out with a pair of pliers. I guess it was a good thing that I trusted Dad completely. I remember it and the pain to this day but I don't remember be scared of having Dad "fix" it for me. My finger was sore for a long time but there was no permenant damage.

I was 4 or 5 when I was playing with my mom's threadle Singer. I gave the wheel a spin with my right hand and pushed the threadle with the tip of toes when I sewed right through my index finger. Apparently the finger nail was soft enough not to break the needle or leave any permanent damage however, it hurt for a long time. I've never done it since and hopefully won't either.

Andie