Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is this common ? >

Is this common ?

Is this common ?

Old 12-28-2010, 04:29 PM
Banned

i have asked my local shop to tare wide backing as i loose too much when they cut it - sometime as much as 10". While they say they add a bit, the double/double fold of wide backing is very difficult to cut accurately. I want it straight on both ends.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:34 PM

I've never seen a store rip fabric before. They've always cut it.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:47 PM

I like mine cut,I find that ripping often stretches and distorts the ripped edge. Sometimes you can see where they get off the straight of the fabric when cutting, I have asked if they would true the edge and one store was very...well not nice about it...I don't go there anymore.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:27 PM

Some LQS's do, some don't. The reasoning is that you will get a 'true' straight of grain. I, too prefer the cut method and don't go to the shop that rips very often. They won't cut even if you ask, but don't know if others will or not, but you could ask and find out.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:39 PM

Back in the day all yard goods were torm rather than cut. However, today there are so many different fibers and finishes that I think it makes it more difficult. I don't like the raggedy edges either, but either way the smallest measurement should be the measurement you asked for. A four inch difference is disgraceful and you should complain.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:46 PM

Our local quilt shop cuts the fabric...but there is a fabric store in our area that rips it....and I don't like it either.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
Tearing has never been an issue with me. I'm dating myself here but I remember when they ran the fabric through a devise that measured the yardage. Then there was a lever that was pushed which made a cut so the sales person could tear off the measured length. I also remember our sewing teachers having us pull on opposite ends of the fabric to straighten the grain. The goal was to have the torn edges and the selveges line up making as close to a right angle as possible. Only then could we cut out our pattern.
I actually own a still working fabric gauge! It went in the old TG&Y that was here.
Wow, TG&Y, that brings back memories. I pulled out some fabric not long ago that still had the pricetag from there. Maybe it's time I figured out what to make out of it.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:09 PM

I'd never go back to a store that tears. I bought some fabric online one time that had been torn (didn't know it till I got it).....It was crooked. I tried like the devil to get it to straighten up. It didn't -- I lost about 1/8th yard.....

My mother gave me a quilt she'd started -- a log cabin. She'd torn the strips. The strips had stripes in some of them...the fabric did NOT stay on the "grain" -- or the design wasn't on the grain. So -- had she not torn it, she could have adjusted and had her stripes show up straight on the quilt.....(is that as clear as mud????)
Old 12-28-2010, 07:26 PM

I have taken material back to stores because they cut it uneven... I don't like it but to me you get a more accurate cut of material.... Walmart is the worst on their cuts....
I guess it boils down to personal preference.........?
Old 12-28-2010, 07:37 PM

Walmart is the worst because they don't train the people . Then they conplain because the fabric dept doesn't show a profit. A little training goes a long way.
Originally Posted by luv-e
I have taken material back to stores because they cut it uneven... I don't like it but to me you get a more accurate cut of material.... Walmart is the worst on their cuts....
I guess it boils down to personal preference.........?