Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Meeting with other quilters >

Meeting with other quilters

Meeting with other quilters

Old 01-06-2011, 01:18 PM

I went on the Ohio Quilt Guilds page and found this link to the quild in Newark, Ohio. It's quite an active group.
http://www.heartofohioquilters.com/
Daleen
Old 01-06-2011, 01:19 PM

I belong to a quilt group of seven "East Valley Quilters". We meet every two weeks. Last year we participated in a row quilt; the first row was of houses - any shape and size. Then we put our "house" row into a brown paper bag and didn't see it again for six months. The row quilt was passed from one to another and each month we had a different type row to make. When they were finished we met at "Paradise Bakery" and each of us saw our individual quilt for the first time! This was so much fun and challenging. This year we are taking on a challenge called ""Half-Yard Cruise Challenge" using five half yards.
It should be interesting to see what we all made from this challenge.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:22 PM

I forgot to mention that we have a potluck everytime we meet and we really have some great food. We meet at one of three houses but I have a small patio home that isn't big enough. We also settle all the world's problems, chuckle!!
Old 01-06-2011, 02:27 PM

I live in Walla Walla, Washington. We have "Quilt til you Wilt" days 3 or 4 times a year. We bring potluck and sew from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm. Almost like a retreat without the cost! We also quilt together 2-3 days a week. We are really addicted.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:49 PM

I just started going to our local Senior Center,
because I have not had any luck meeting other quilters.
I should get a tee shirt that says, Quilter here !
But I talk shop with anybody that will listen for a few minutes in passing, I know they are out their.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:36 PM

I meet once a month with about 12 ladies. We bring our own lunch and the host lady supplies tea, coffee. Some of us bring biscuits, cakes or sugar supplies.
We have a "Show and Tell" time, where everyone shows off their latest finished or WIP. We show photos of quilt shows or discuss new shops, products, trends,etc.
It starts at 10:00am and finishes at 4:00pm. Some ladies only come for the morning or afternoon session and some of us stay all day. We are not compelled to go every month. However, I find it so inspiring that I would not miss it. There are so many talented ladies there, who are willing to share. Some of them have published and some have won major competitions so I am in awe of them.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:37 PM

Over here in Hong Kong, I have some of my friends from church come to my house each week to work on projects, when they finish their quilts, I quilt them, it's paying for my long arm, so it works out for me! Just finished #101.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:41 PM

I meet with a group of ladies at my church. They are very informal and actually meet twice a week (one daytime and one evening). Some people sew avidly every time and others sometimes just come to chat. Every 6-9 weeks that have a mini retreat on a Fri and Sat.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:47 PM

We have a small group that meets at our church---several of whom have since joined the board---and we meet Monday evenings and Tuesday mornings and work on our own projects. Every 6 weeks we have a mini retreat, consisting of 4-midnight on Friday and 8-5 on Saturday. Sometimes we are working on the same pattern, or a Project Linus pattern, etc, and other times we are working on our own projects. It's nice to just have the time to hang out together.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:54 PM

I meet once a week at a LQS to sew, visit, have lunch & coffee. We work on projects. This is why I'm finishing my UFO's. I also go once a month to the local LQS and we get a pattern to do. We cut it out at home and bring it to sew. It is interesting because each one of us uses different fabric and the same pattern looks so different. Most of the time we use our stash.