Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Sewing Machines - - >

Singer Sewing Machines - -

Singer Sewing Machines - -

Old 01-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

I ordered a L-500 from HSN because it had all the features my quilter's heart was dreaming of at a great price. I was very disappointed with the quality when I finally got her.

To the gal who wrote "Viking Forever" - R U Sure? Viking, Singer, and Pfaff are handled by a holding company VSP and their priority is profit at the cost of quality and customer service. I can tell the difference in the quality of the Pfaff 2058 to a prior Pfaff I bought.

Now please, do not read more into this comment than what I said. I am NOT bashing these manufacturers at all, and for some people, the difference in quality or customer service might be a moot point. I am a quite spoiled and have high expectations of my machine.

I am also very happy for every quilter who loves their machine - regardless what brand.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:14 PM

Singer was sold in 1980 and things went downhill from there. In 1987 I bought a new Singer 6215 and it was garbage from day
one; nothing but problems. Did I mention I hated that thing??
It learned how to fly in 1992, it ate the baby quilt I was trying to quilt. I told DH that our dog got all tangled up in the cord and freaked ; somehow he pulled it onto the floor.I bought a new Bernina the next day and sewing was fun again!
I have antique Singers and they are fabulous. The #237 is the youngest of my Singers and its a great machine, circa 1968.
I used to sell new Singers and I was ashamed to sell them, they're noisy and don't really sew very well.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:32 PM

I have noticed the difference in the Pfaffs made in Germany and the new ones being sold now; the difference is amazing.
I have the 1222E and 2040. My Pfaff dealer just doesn't understand why I like the older Pfaffs better, he keeps trying to convince me that I need a new one rather than keeping the two I have now. I just bought the 2040 on Friday, its about 8 years old and a great machine. Both machines have the IDT(built in walking foot).
I also have a Viking Sapphire 875 and its a nice machine, but doesn't hold a candle to the older Vikings.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:33 PM

The Singers started going downhill in the 60's My ex bought me a beautiful Singer Futura in a beautiful French cabinet. It was the worst machine I ever had.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by skeetersmom
I recently bought the Featherweight 221, and the other Singer I have is the Singer 6267 which I bought new around 1984 or so.

I've read lots of negatives on the later Singer machines, and I'm wondering when Singer quit making great machines.
Around the early 1960's, I'd say...

I have been sewing on the old Bernina 830 since the 80's and was madly in love with it until I got a vintage Singer 66. Nothing beats the way these old machines were made and the precision their workings have, not to mention the soothing sound when they sew, their strength, their power... need I go on?

Sometimes you may not know it can be better than what you've got...

My employer sent me a new Husqvarna Huskylock 936 to do her work on. She said she paid $1800 for it, and it is a bonafide piece of cr*p! It doesn't even have the power to sew across a seam without getting stuck and the stitching all bunching up. I hate the thing and fight with it whenever I have to use it. :thumbdown:

Price paid is NO reflection of quality, where sewing machines are concerned.

I just hope I can acquire all the old Singers I want to collect before the rest of the world catches on and the prices go into orbit. :-D
Old 01-13-2011, 04:40 PM

I have Singer XL1000 combo sewing/embroidery machine purchased new in about 2002. It has performed well.........no complaints.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I have noticed the difference in the Pfaffs made in Germany and the new ones being sold now; the difference is amazing.
I have the 1222E and 2040. My Pfaff dealer just doesn't understand why I like the older Pfaffs better, he keeps trying to convince me that I need a new one rather than keeping the two I have now.
LOL, I'd wager he understands... he just wants to sell you some pricey new machines! I have the same discussion with the Bernina dealer whenever I take my old 830 in for service or repair.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by linhawk
I am looking for info on treadles. Isn't there a place on here with info? I can't seem to find it. I want one so bad but not sure what to look for. If there is no belt do you just "roll" the wheel to see if it works????
There is one on Craigs list for $75.00 but the cabinet is water damaged.
Yes, turn the handwheel to make it sew... All treadles can be operated as a hand-crank, too, so just turn it as if it had a crank.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:46 PM

Thanks Smitty
Old 01-13-2011, 05:42 PM

I have a Singer model 3820, brought it in 2001 it was their 150th Anniversary machine. I got it for $99.99 at walmart and I have really used the heck out of it, definately got my $100.00 worth. I have my heart set on getting a Bernina 440 GE, but until I can afford to get it I will be satisfied with my little ole Singer.
Now the shameful part that I must admit, the ole girl has never been serviced, Please don't send the Machine Police to get me LOL I took her apart last week and cleaned out under the bobbin and it had tons of lint put a little oil on the metal parts and shes running pretty good, I have no complaints.
I listen to everyone talk about their machines and love to see the pictures, and I don't envy anyone. I'm just happy for all that can afford the nicer ones.