Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would You Have Bought This? >

Would You Have Bought This?

Would You Have Bought This?

Old 01-14-2011, 07:45 AM

I have some old army blankets that were my mother-in-laws and I am going to felt with them.....making vest, purses, totes anything I can think of....a friend of mine gave me a garbage bag full of felted wool (she is a spinner)and I am going use some of it with the blankets....I will let you know how it turns out. Going to wash the blankets in hot water to felt them.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
Sounds like someone may have begun the felting/shrinking process. I definitely would have bought it....wash it some more and maybe use as batting in a rag quilt (would be great for winter) or as others have suggested bags, flower appliques, felted buttons to trim a quilt (nicer than real ones, you don't get them sticking in to you)....Endless possibilities....
Wool is also great to put into pincushions to keep needles sharp so any leftovers from other projects could be used that way.
Patti Sue
Old 01-14-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by PWinston
Wool could be felted and then used for some beautiful applique. I would have purchased it.
I agree!
Old 01-14-2011, 07:55 AM

I purchased 3 army wood blankets from a military surplus on purpose. My sons took two but I managed to keep on. I use it over one of my large tables when I need to press large things such as drapes, whole quilt tops, etc. I covered one table with heavy duty foil, throw this blanket over and clamp it with office supply clips. In certain cases, I also cover it with an old sheet. I have used, washed, reused over and over, this same blanket now for 11 years. Works perfect.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:26 AM

I would snap it up in a heartbeat. Wash it when you get home and dry it in a hot dryer to felt it and see if it bleeds. Then use it to make penny rugs. They aren`t quilts, but they are so attractive.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cosyquilter
Just an off the wall question that bothers me from time to time: if we pick up stuff like jackets, coats, sweaters to cut up and use for other things like quilts or crafts, are we depriving warm clothing to those who can't afford to shop elsewhere? I know, I am very anal sometimes.

It doesn't bother me, the thrifts back room is always filled to bursting with more clothing and if anyone can't afford warm clothes and shoes for their family I know they are given what they need at the Salvation Army here.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:30 AM

I would have snagged it in a heartbeat
Great for appliques, or snowman vests and scarves---
there are numerous uses.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:32 AM

Location: From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL

Just hit the Goodwill store by me for men's wool jackets for the wool for doing applique work and small wall hangings. Was SO much cheaper than buying the wool from store... I even found a red women's jacket for 4.99 that is for Mug Rug I am making right now.
I throw them in the dryer with Dryel for a quick "dry cleaning" and the wool has been wonderful...no problems

Hope it is still there when you go back!! You can certainly find something to do with it! You can always use it for batting on a throw...

Cathay ;)
Old 01-14-2011, 08:54 AM

I made it to the Goodwill shortly after it opened this morning and snatched that wool blanket up as fast as I could. A woman standing nearby moseyed over to the rack after I walked away and began looking through the rack where I had been. Isn't it funny how human nature works that way. She had to have wondered what she had missed out on. LOL!!

Now to find out more about getting it ready to use. I put it in the washer as soon as I got home. Sounds like I need to cycle it on HOT several times. How will I know when it is felted?
Sorry, just don't know much about wool.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:16 AM

Me, too! Yum
Originally Posted by lvaughan
Don't know about the wool blanket but I sure would like to have some of that Pineapple Upside Down cake. Looks Delicious!
:mrgreen: