Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
USING DRIER SHEETS IN QUILTING >

USING DRIER SHEETS IN QUILTING

USING DRIER SHEETS IN QUILTING

Old 01-27-2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by gollytwo
Quilters have known for years to not use dryer sheets, used or fresh, in quilts or applique
judging by the previous comments - not everyone.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:32 AM

when I read the site the other day about using the drier sheets it brought back some memories. I smelt smoke several years ago and couldn't figure where it was coming from I went downstairs to check and coming back up I saw fire coming from back Of my dryer. We had to call fire dept. and was told "the dryer sheets are the most causes of house fire and told me not to use them" Just informing you all.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:50 AM

Well, I always like to do a little "investigation" so I found this site from Consumer Reports (a reliable source, IMHO): http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/a...view/index.htm

Of particular interest to me was this statement: "Avoid using liquid fabric softener on all-cotton clothing made of fleece, terry cloth, or velour. In our flammability tests, liquid fabric softener added to rinse water accelerated the burning speed of these fabrics. If you want a softener, use dryer sheets instead."

So for me, the bottom line on using dryer sheets (or anything else, for that matter) is use good judgement. There's a concept :-)
Old 01-27-2011, 11:00 AM

Quilters have known for years to not use dryer sheets, used or fresh, in quilts or applique
quilters in the olden days used anything they could fine, I have a friends who is very frugel and is the same as our ancestors
Old 01-27-2011, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by pamesue
quilters in the olden days used anything they could fine, I have a friends who is very frugel and is the same as our ancestors
They didn't use items drenched in chemicals like dryer sheets. Some people will even use LINT...excuse me...gack!
Old 01-27-2011, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by pamesue
They didn't use items drenched in chemicals like dryer sheets. Some people will even use LINT...excuse me...gack!
I've heard this, too, about using lint. It was suggested using it for stuffing things. It's already clean. I think about it when I clean my lint trap but still just toss it. I guess it could be used for stuffing animals or dolls.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:29 AM

Lint is made of a multitude of things including bodily hairs from ALL over (eww almost got sick), animal hair etc. I surely wouldn't want to "use" it for anything but to fill the garbage can with.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:33 AM

Lint is made of a multitude of things including bodily hairs from ALL over (eww almost got sick), animal hair etc. I surely wouldn't want to "use" it for anything but to fill the garbage can with.
I agree!
Old 01-27-2011, 11:36 AM

Well said. The garbage can loves this stuff since that's where it should be.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:53 AM

I just saw this hahahah...I just burned a big hole in my Diamond star quilt the other day and I didn't even do it on purpose. Of course the dryer sheet will burn and so will your quilting fabric or anything else you strike a match to hahahhahaha

I have used dyer sheets for ages and love them for my crazy blocks etc.

I usually buy the cheapest dryer sheets I can find and they don't have a lot of smell or stuff on them and when hubby gives them to me they are soft devoid of anything. I love using them and will continue.

I also use them for applique. I spray starch heavy, then I sew all around the design, cut a slit in the middle of the sheet and turn right side and starch and press again. It appliques beautifully, just as if you are using the expensive stuff....I don't spend if I don't have to and I like to recycle..

Having said all that, it is always a good idea to check everything out and make sure.