Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question - hand quilting large quilts in hoops >

question - hand quilting large quilts in hoops

question - hand quilting large quilts in hoops

Old 01-28-2011, 01:43 PM

yes, I have hand quilted a large quilt in a hoop. A few things to consider: be very careful when putting quilt in hoop that nothing is bunched up or caught in the hoop, the quilt can get a bit unwielding in the beginning,it feels like your whole lap is buried in material. But, I think you will really enjoy spending time with your family and doing something you enjoy. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:15 PM

Yes, I've done all but 2 of 15 hand quilts on a 15" hoop - it's circular, wood with a groove on the outside and a 1/2" elastic cord to hold the quilt in place - as lap projects, it's nice to be able to sit and socialize at the same time. Quilting was originally such a great socializer, and however efficient machines are they can isolate us if we work mostly on our own.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Cyn

I've done King size and it was easy. I start in the middle and work my way out.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:54 PM

I've done a bit of hand quilting but I prefer to not use a hoop - I like the quilt to lay loosely on my lap as I work on it.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:40 PM

I hand quilted a queen sized quilt after spray basting. However, I had a difficult time getting the needles thru the spray basting. I broke 9 needles throughout the whole process. I like spray basting, but I'm not sure I'd do it that way again. I think pin basting or thread basting might be better. I don't know if breaking needles while quilting is a normal thing. It was my first quilt done with spray basting, so I'll find out if breaking needles will happen on my next quilt that I'm NOT going to spray baste.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:03 PM

This has answered many questions that I had about hand quilting. I inherited my mom's old wooden quilt frames but they are huge and I can't use them unless I set them up in my garage, they take up so much room.

I always thought to do a large quilting job you had to have it on frames. I am looking forward to trying to lap quilt next time.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:56 PM

Do you notice the adhesvie spray making the needles harder to get thtrough?
Old 01-28-2011, 07:04 PM

I did the same thing on my first quilt. I just finished the area in the hoop, then took it out and started again in the middle, and hand quilted from there. I kept freaking out because I couldn't see the middle half of the time. It worked out finethough. The bunching up was mostly around the edge at the end when i couldn't fit it in a hoop anymore. But it worked out and looks fine now. I took out some of the quilting around the edge and redid it. You can always do that before you put on the binding.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:46 PM

I like the big oval hoop (about 24x18 at least!) I also have one with a flat base to sit on your lap w/a rectangular hoop attached to the top that can be moved forward or backward, but always found that a bit unwieldy. It's cool to sit in a nice lazy boy with the quilt puddled around your legs in front of the fireplace during the winter to do hand quilting. Wouldn't recommend it any other time of the year , but then I live in Arizona... I also have a floor frame which I've used for several of my quilts, but it doesn't fit so nicely into the living room and quilting becomes a more isolating experience on that. Hand basting is the key, and starting in the middle of the quilt ou can do any size you like - mine are always bed sized.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:51 PM

I have not done any hand quilting sitting in my recliner but I do other kinds of work. Right now I am making yo yos for a project or I embroider or crochet something simple.