Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Nine Patch Project >

Nine Patch Project

Nine Patch Project

Old 09-02-2010, 11:04 AM

this is a philodendron leaf.
With this leaf, and sweeping lines, you come down from the top, make your heart, come back out and go back to your loop-de-loop toward your next leaf/heart ...
you will be amazed at how wide and deep you can make them, you will enjoy how wistful you can make them ... just take a gander at some leaves from different plants, and you might find lots of samples to practice. <wave>
Attached Thumbnails attachment-109483.jpe  
Old 09-02-2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Pzazz
Lots of great feedback, Omak. Thanks. I will be doing this on my regular machine. I have been having fun doing FMQ on the last few quilts I have done, but they have all been fairly free style....nothing fancy. ;) So this will be a new challenge. :)

Patti
you do have the darning/embroidery foot? <wave>
Old 09-02-2010, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by omak
Originally Posted by Pzazz
Lots of great feedback, Omak. Thanks. I will be doing this on my regular machine. I have been having fun doing FMQ on the last few quilts I have done, but they have all been fairly free style....nothing fancy. ;) So this will be a new challenge. :)

Patti
you do have the darning/embroidery foot? <wave>
Oh yes...I would be lots without it!!!! :)

patti
Old 09-02-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by omak
this is a philodendron leaf.
With this leaf, and sweeping lines, you come down from the top, make your heart, come back out and go back to your loop-de-loop toward your next leaf/heart ...
you will be amazed at how wide and deep you can make them, you will enjoy how wistful you can make them ... just take a gander at some leaves from different plants, and you might find lots of samples to practice. <wave>
I was just thinking ... I am left-handed, so my method of doing these leaf/hearts might be awkward ... I sweep down with a line into the center of the top .. I can go either left or right from there, but from the center, you are going to draw the line from the upper center to that place at the lower part of the heart ...
from the lower part of the heart, you are going to go up and out to make the other side of the heart, and then back to the center of the top, and then up and away from the heart ...
when I started wanting to be adventurous in my FMQ journey, I went to the LQS and bought a packet of quilting patterns, and looked to see what quilting lesson books they have - - especially common if they sell long arm quilting frames or machines of any kind ... you will get a bunch of good ideas and have lots of fun as you branch out.
Don't forget the you tube adventure, either .... I don't know where they are, but I have found them linked on the Board ... where you can watch how the quilter is using her hands and moving the quilt to get what she wants (or he wants <g> as the case may be) <wave>
Old 09-06-2010, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dagny
Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
I cut some of my squares the wrong size. I got sooooo upset I took a few days off. It's been 5 days...so far. :cry:
That sounds like an opportunity to make a second project using smaller (or larger) nine patches. Problem solved.
Hey Swan, my 5 days turned into a month! I did complete my 9 Patch. I was late, but I got it done. I'll have to go find the picture and post it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]112895[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-112890.jpe  
Old 09-07-2010, 03:40 AM

I love it! :thumbup: Glad to see you got it done. It really is a striking quilt.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Swan Song
I have been thinking a long time about how to follow up this little project and have come up with several ideas. I think we could use a quilt thru the winter project. So I think after a month or 2 to get our dear 9Ps put together I will make another "quilt along" suggestion. Stay tuned. ;) I hope my computer cooperates this time! :|
I am still working on finishing up 2 throws with all the 9 patches we created. I would love to see another project to follow along with. Thanks Swan Song!
Old 09-07-2010, 06:35 AM

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I went back to the very first post, and according to the "rules", y'all were only supposed to make ONE nine patch a day for THIRTY days :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Having read every page on this thread, I am thinking:
They were having so much fun, they just started making 9 patches and couldn't stop!
GOOD SHOW! <wave>
Old 09-07-2010, 10:52 AM

omak, we started out making them from June 15th thru August 1st. Some of the members wanted to go to the end of August since that was actually the end of summer. So we expanded to June 15th thru August 31st. We had great fun looking for links to variations of the 9 patch and settings. Some of our members got very creative! :D We all tried to keep each other cheered on and going. :thumbup: It has been a lot of fun to do and to see what everyone has created with the humble 9P.

Oh and some really made way more than the required 1 a day!
Old 09-07-2010, 01:46 PM

WooHoooooo...If the deadline was changed to Aug. 30th, I finished on time. I finished on the 27th! :thumbup: