Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Nine Patch Project >

Nine Patch Project

Nine Patch Project

Old 09-01-2010, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Pzazz
Originally Posted by omak
OOOOH! I think you ought to back it with BRIGHT RED flannel! It looks all warm and cuddly ... <wave>
Hmmmm interesting thought. With so much white on the front side, I didn't know what colour route to take for the back. Mom is a real "green" fan....a bit of the old Irish, don'cha know. Perhaps I can find a nice bright kelly green.

Patti
Well, there you go!
When the recipient has a favorite color, you know everything you need to know <g> ... maybe quilted with four leaf clovers all over, or whatever the green means to your mom <wave>
Old 09-01-2010, 07:21 PM

Hi, Lovely nine patch quilt top. Very nice and a great range of colors.
My thoughts on a backing, would the backing color show or shadow thru with the amount of white on the front?
I would be a little worried if all would be color fast, hate to have a red/green bleed through in a later washing.
I would rather a light backing and a colorful binding. Keep up the good work and send a finished photo, Kathy in Colo
Old 09-02-2010, 04:36 AM

OOOOH! I think you ought to back it with BRIGHT RED flannel! It looks all warm and cuddly ... <wave>
Hmmmm interesting thought. With so much white on the front side, I didn't know what colour route to take for the back. Mom is a real "green" fan....a bit of the old Irish, don'cha know. Perhaps I can find a nice bright kelly green.

Patti
Well, there you go!

When the recipient has a favorite color, you know everything you need to know <g> ... maybe quilted with four leaf clovers all over, or whatever the green means to your mom <wave>
Omak....seems you are being my directional prod in finishing this. I will be doing FMQ, and had been thinking perhaps spirals in the 9P's, and leaves of some kind in the white. I like your idea of the 4 leaf clover. I'll play some on a scrap and see if I can manage that. :)

Patti
Old 09-02-2010, 05:25 AM

You are all very welcome! :-D It was a pleasure to host this, you are a talented and creative group. Patti the top is great I am sure your Mom will love it! :-D

I just got in from worl and am off to bed.
TTYS, Di aka Swan Song
Old 09-02-2010, 06:14 AM

I don't know if you need this tip, but factory standard for completing a seam is to stitch directly on top of the beginning stitches ... VIOLA! No need to make continuous lines from form to form in your quilt. An example of what I am talking about can be found in the leg hem of your denim jeans (one of many samples to be found in factory produced clothing) ... the hem at the bottom of the leg, on the inside ... right over the inseam (usually) you should be able to see where the machinist began stitching, continued around and stitched right over the beginning stitches.
You have certainly selected an aggressive form of quilt pattern <wave> Don't mean to prod, just encouraging ... LOL :thumbup:

"Omak....seems you are being my directional prod in finishing this. I will be doing FMQ, and had been thinking perhaps spirals in the 9P's, and leaves of some kind in the white. I like your idea of the 4 leaf clover. I'll play some on a scrap and see if I can manage that.

Patti"
Old 09-02-2010, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

Patti
Well, there you go!

Omak....seems you are being my directional prod in finishing this. I will be doing FMQ, and had been thinking perhaps spirals in the 9P's, and leaves of some kind in the white. I like your idea of the 4 leaf clover. I'll play some on a scrap and see if I can manage that. :)

Patti
Patti--think of the leaves as hearts and maybe it will flow easier for you, G
Old 09-02-2010, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad

Patti
Well, there you go!

Patti
Thanks G. I like that idea of thinking hearts...even if my leaves dont' look like leaves, I can say I "intended" them to be hearts!!! LOL My co-worker, (not a quilter), also suggested I practice drawing several to get the feel of the motion. Am I correct in thinking I can get a disappearing marker that I could draw lines to follow? That would sure help!!!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, ladies. :)

Patti
Old 09-02-2010, 08:06 AM

There are pens that have air disappearing pens, and then there are pens that when you have done the stitching you spritz with water and the lines disappear as everything dries.
I don't know if you are doing machine quilting on a frame, or if you are using your portable machine sitting on your sewing table.
From experience, I can tell you that you will get more bang from your buck practicing the lines on pads of paper and a pen. the lines are too constricting, the tools to make lines (though there is an alternative even for that - - quilting templates/stencils and a cinnamon or chalk pounce) anyway, the tools always raise the question of leftover marks or not getting the instructions for removal correct. <wave>

Originally Posted by oksewglad

Patti
Well, there you go!

Patti
Thanks G. I like that idea of thinking hearts...even if my leaves dont' look like leaves, I can say I "intended" them to be hearts!!! LOL My co-worker, (not a quilter), also suggested I practice drawing several to get the feel of the motion. Am I correct in thinking I can get a disappearing marker that I could draw lines to follow? That would sure help!!!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, ladies. :)

Patti
Old 09-02-2010, 09:54 AM

Lots of great feedback, Omak. Thanks. I will be doing this on my regular machine. I have been having fun doing FMQ on the last few quilts I have done, but they have all been fairly free style....nothing fancy. ;) So this will be a new challenge. :)

Patti
Old 09-02-2010, 10:09 AM

Here goes. I had a gal at work hold for me to take a couple of pix. (They are always ready for show-and-tell.)

Not sure what I will back this with, but once I figure that out, I will finish it for my mom.....she will be 91 this month!!

Thanks for organizing this, Swan Song. It really has been fun seeing what everyone has done.

Patti

Your quilt is beautiful. I love the white squares to set of the 9 patches. :thumbup: