Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 09-08-2011, 07:37 AM

I had some free time this morning and decided to show you my little girl. She was given to me by one of my best friends. She had 2 and could only use one at a time. Sweet lady.

She was born on September 10th, 1934 one of 10,000 and only the second batch of Featherweights made. She is a rare one, but just as valuable as all the others. She does have some differences: The tension is not numbered, a feature I really like. I don't get hung up on numbers - I can adjust it until the stitch looks good! The bobbin tension is on the front of the machine, not on the bed. Singer changed this the next year because the machine would not fit down into a table with it located on front.

Mine has a striated face plate. She should have a scrolled one but she must have had a "touch of work done" ;) over the years. One of these days I might find a scrolled face plate and replace it. It doesn't bother me and she is fine with it. Her foot control is different than any I have ever seen. it is an original Singer part though.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-253207.jpe   attachment-253208.jpe   attachment-253209.jpe  
Old 09-08-2011, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
I had some free time this morning and decided to show you my little girl. She was given to me by one of my best friends. She had 2 and could only use one at a time. Sweet lady.

She was born on September 10th, 1934 one of 10,000 and only the second batch of Featherweights made. She is a rare one, but just as valuable as all the others. She does have some differences: The tension is not numbered, a feature I really like. I don't get hung up on numbers - I can adjust it until the stitch looks good! The bobbin tension is on the front of the machine, not on the bed. Singer changed this the next year because the machine would not fit down into a table with it located on front.

Mine has a striated face plate. She should have a scrolled one but she must have had a "touch of work done" ;) over the years. One of these days I might find a scrolled face plate and replace it. It doesn't bother me and she is fine with it. Her foot control is different than any I have ever seen. it is an original Singer part though.
She looks awesome for her age. And what is your little beauty's name?
Old 09-08-2011, 07:58 AM

I can't wait to get my first featherweight home and put back together. It is being painted because it was in poor shape. It is a blackside 1945 model. Really neat-faceplate and some parts are sort of a gunmetal color.

Pat
Old 09-08-2011, 08:14 AM

Mitch's Mom, thank you for showing us your FW and telling us about what the difference that was made in the improvements with the 1936 machine. You have a beauty there. It is such a special machine, not only that there were few of them made, but that your friend gave it to you. She is a special friend.
MY 1928 Singer 99 doesn't have the numbers on the tension, which I never did rely on anyway, nor does she have numbers on the knob for the stitch length, and of course just goes forward.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:15 AM

I have one featherweight and I'm on the lookout for a Centenial one for my birthyear. Once I find that I'm sending my first one away to be painted purple.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:45 AM

I have a 1955 Model 221 that I bought just a couple of months ago on eBay. Maybe not a great price deal, but it's in perfect condition and sews beautifully. I bought her to take to classes and retreats instead of risking my big Bernina (which is too heavy to carry anyway). Took her to her first class yesterday....what fun to sew on her!

BTW, her name is Mary Ruth...for my two grandmothers and what my parents almost named me!

Anita
Old 09-08-2011, 09:47 AM

Mitch's Mom...you can get a replacement scroll faceplate from a guy named Glenn Williams at the link below. I haven't done business with him but located him as a parts resource when I first bought my machine. I think the scroll plate is about $30.

http://pages.suddenlink.net/joyof301s/glenn.htm

Anita
Old 09-08-2011, 10:10 AM

I have a 221K The greenish/white color, that a friend gave me. It had a lot of feet and was in pretty bad shape. The Case stinks (which is not uncommon) and there were some bad spots on the sewing deck, but I touched up those and got a new belt, and cleaned up the works and oiled the little girl, and she just hums along sweet as you please. I honestly don't use it much, but I got it for when we travel, and stay some place. I thought I could use it for piecing and repairs, if I need to do any, but I haven't taken it any place yet. Best laid plans,act.
John
Old 09-08-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by nanasquilting
I have one featherweight and I'm on the lookout for a Centenial one for my birthyear. Once I find that I'm sending my first one away to be painted purple.
Mitchs mom, Love your lil girl she is a beauty, thanks for sharing her. Heres a good site for parts, nice honest man.
http://singeroriginalvintageproducts.com/default.aspx

Oh thats what I want to paint one of mine is purple I love purple. Please post pics when she gets home.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:40 PM

The only thing wrong with painting the antique machines is that you remove the antique value of it. If the finish on it isn't in good shape, it might be warranted to do. But I'd think first before I did it. That's like refinishing antique furniture, it reduces the value. Just a thought..... I'll keep mine just the way they are, loved and used.