Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 09-08-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Janis
The only thing wrong with painting the antique machines is that you remove the antique value of it. If the finish on it isn't in good shape, it might be warranted to do. But I'd think first before I did it. That's like refinishing antique furniture, it reduces the value. Just a thought..... I'll keep mine just the way they are, loved and used.
I agree with the premiss about declining value. But in this case, the rough areas were so bad that they needed to be cleaned up to allow for sewing. The fabric would catch on it. There was actually rust. If you don't cure the rust there will be nothing of value to brag about as an antique. This, after all, is just a tool. I know people get attached to their machines and name them and think they are the next thing to sliced bread, but in the end they are just a tool. In the woodworking world, there are those folks who search out old tools and place them up on a shelf and look at them and never use them. There is nothing wrong with thinking of them as art objects, but again, they are just a tool. I use all my tools, both sewing and woodworking. Some of them are very old, but I clean them up and use them. I have repaired furniture for people who paid lots of money because they bought some piece that was a couple of hundred years old. But if you look at the inner workings of such pieces there were some pretty bad carpenters/craftsmen who made those things from the standpoint of quality of construction. Everything old is not good just because it is old. I guess I don't worry about the value of some of these things, if they don't allow me to use them. Call me crazy, but I like to use them not look at them.
John
Old 09-08-2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Fixedgearhead
The only thing wrong with painting the antique machines is that you remove the antique value of it. If the finish on it isn't in good shape, it might be warranted to do. But I'd think first before I did it. That's like refinishing antique furniture, it reduces the value. Just a thought..... I'll keep mine just the way they are, loved and used.
I agree with the premiss about declining value. But in this case, the rough areas were so bad that they needed to be cleaned up to allow for sewing. The fabric would catch on it. There was actually rust. If you don't cure the rust there will be nothing of value to brag about as an antique. This, after all, is just a tool. I know people get attached to their machines and name them and think they are the next thing to sliced bread, but in the end they are just a tool. In the woodworking world, there are those folks who search out old tools and place them up on a shelf and look at them and never use them. There is nothing wrong with thinking of them as art objects, but again, they are just a tool. I use all my tools, both sewing and woodworking. Some of them are very old, but I clean them up and use them. I have repaired furniture for people who paid lots of money because they bought some piece that was a couple of hundred years old. But if you look at the inner workings of such pieces there were some pretty bad carpenters/craftsmen who made those things from the standpoint of quality of construction. Everything old is not good just because it is old. I guess I don't worry about the value of some of these things, if they don't allow me to use them. Call me crazy, but I like to use them not look at them.
John
I agree with you 100%. I use all the old stuff I cart home. Mixers, sewing machines, bicycles, scales. Pretty much anything mechanical.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:09 PM

If the machine really needs to be painted to be usable, that is one thing. I guess my thought is to take a good machine and repaint it just to have one in another color is not in the best interest. Repairing and restoring is a different story all together. I'm glad that you can help others make their machines and furniture usable.
In a like story, I try to grow orchids, and just hate to see the ones in the stores that have had dye put in the pots and absorbed all through the plant just to make the blossoms BLUE!! I complain when I see them!
Old 09-10-2011, 05:17 AM

[quote=valleyquiltermo][quote=cabbagepatchkid][quote=vintagemotif]Anyone heard of this one?
FW clone called the MINI Classic made in the 90's.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/hsh/2449094017.html

Save your money and buy a genuine Singer Featherweight. The Mini Classic isn't made as well as the real thing.
Sharon W.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:58 PM

I like the looks of your 301.What year is she?
Since I got my FW in May and my 99 in Aug., my great hubby has been looking for Singer sewing machines at yard sales. Will I get more??? Time will tell...
Janis, you are on the right track. My husband surprised me with a Featherweight the other day. We were out shopping and when I got back to the car I could hardly believe my eyes. :-) I think he is beginning to look at them as investments if the price is right. Hope your husband adds something "new" and exciting to your collection soon.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:04 PM

I've seen another FW and another 99 just after I got each of them, and was glad that I'd gotten the ones I have. The others were in terrible shape. I'd have hated to have it the other way around!!
What is the date on your FW? Mine is 1939. I didn't get the black case with it, but got a newer green and tan one that the guy put it in. He said that the other case was in bad shape and he threw it away. I'd have liked to have it anyway to see if I could fix it. But I don't keep it in the case anyway. I got a yarn rolling tote from Michaels that it fits in just perfectly. The rolling tote has a lot of storage in it too.
Aren't husbands that look for things like that wonderful!! Mine will come back from a garage sale and say that he'd seen a sewing machine for sale but it wasn't a Singer. I'm just looking at them at the moment as I know the old ones of them are the ones I can get parts for if necessary.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
I had some free time this morning and decided to show you my little girl. She was given to me by one of my best friends. She had 2 and could only use one at a time. Sweet lady.

She was born on September 10th, 1934 one of 10,000 and only the second batch of Featherweights made. She is a rare one, but just as valuable as all the others. She does have some differences: The tension is not numbered, a feature I really like. I don't get hung up on numbers - I can adjust it until the stitch looks good! The bobbin tension is on the front of the machine, not on the bed. Singer changed this the next year because the machine would not fit down into a table with it located on front.

Mine has a striated face plate. She should have a scrolled one but she must have had a "touch of work done" ;) over the years. One of these days I might find a scrolled face plate and replace it. It doesn't bother me and she is fine with it. Her foot control is different than any I have ever seen. it is an original Singer part though.
She is a beauty! I have a 1936 that has some of the new changes, but not all that were made in that year. Pretty cool! Well, if you want to make your baby truly authentic, you will need the stagger leg scroll plate. The scroll doesn't wrap all the way around like the later ones called the even leg. See here at this site. http://www.thefeatherweight221factory.com/June2011.aspx
I prefer the even leg, but mine is correct for my year. Just a good excuse to look for a later one to add to the collection!
Old 09-10-2011, 10:14 PM

Kas, thanks for the featherweight221factory site. I went right to it and learned a lot of interesting things about the differences in the first models of the featherweight. I was under the impression that there were very few changes, and all made at once, rather than over a couple of years or so.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:32 PM
Kas

You are welcome. I learned a lot at that site, too. I was concerned at first that my FW was not quite right. Now I know she is just in the middle of a bunch of changes and really cool. I will get some pix up some day! I am taking Dave Mcallum's class here next month to learn how to clean and service my new baby. That is going to be good.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:07 AM

I have just joined the club!!!!! My special friend Izy found me a bargain on e.bay and we won the bid yesterday!!!! I paid £57 plus £10 postage (approx $115 I think!!) A real bargain!! It will be in the post tomorrow can't wait to see it!!!! Will post pics and details when I get it!!! Sooo looking forward to being a member of this club!!!! Izy you.re a star!! Thanks!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: