Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Row  Robin - Signup Closed >
  • Row Robin - Signup Closed

• Row Robin - Signup Closed

Old 12-28-2010, 02:37 PM

Shaysmema, I mailed JudyG's quilt to you yesterday, (Monday, December 27), so you should receive it very soon.

Now I'm going to take a look/see at the package Gramakitten sent me. I'm not sure which block I will feature, but I am sure I'll put some embroidery on the blocks. And again, I'm only going to use from my stash. It's a promise I made to myself.

HAPPY NEW YEAR SISTER QUILTERS!!! Belles :-P :) :lol: :D
    Old 12-29-2010, 05:39 AM

going to the quilt shop today. The first time since in florida. going to find some candy fabric then work on the candy quilt. Should be in the mail on time.

Belles i wish we were closer together. I need to lear how to use my embroidery madchine.
    Old 12-29-2010, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Gramakitten
    going to the quilt shop today. The first time since in florida. going to find some candy fabric then work on the candy quilt. Should be in the mail on time.

Belles i wish we were closer together. I need to lear how to use my embroidery madchine.
    Me too!!!!!!!!!
    Old 12-29-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    Originally Posted by Gramakitten

Me too!!!!!!!!!
    I'll tell you ladies, I learned by DOING! I had the machine for about six months and spent a lot of time just looking at it. Then I finally felt so guilty about spending so much money for something to just look at, I grabbed the manual and read everything printed about embroidery. The first few things I tried were AWFUL - I mean AWFUL. Not centered, puckered and UGLY. So, I tried again and again and again. I learned to use a stablizer under the cloth to be embroidered upon; to use embroidery thread (shiny and colorful) instead of drab cotton threat; to center the embroidery project by counting spaces and using the Cloth Setter which came with the machine (Oh, that's what that thing-a-magig is for). Just like practicing free motion quilting, you have to practice using the embroidery section of your machine...and then practice some more. Make sure you have quite a few hours to spare and spend time the next day and the next day, because it's so easy to forget how to do something unless you do it again and again. Good luck - but I wish I lived closer to you guys too. Belles
    Old 12-29-2010, 08:40 PM

I went to 4 quilt stores today....it was a great day. Lots of new fabrics came home with me. and an idea for my row this month.
    Old 12-30-2010, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ripped on Scotch
    I went to 4 quilt stores today....it was a great day. Lots of new fabrics came home with me. and an idea for my row this month.
    I'm still trying to figure out what to do.

Belles....My DH got me a E machine for Christmas, I'm so excited and then I'm not...LOL He bugs me everyday about it..."Are you going to use the machine today?" "You know you can embroider on that?"...Okay Okay...LOL He is driving me nuts. I have other things I need to get done 1st. I did do a little something with it just practicing and I did get really excited and of course he teased me about FINALLY being excited...Men..Can't live with em and can't live with out em.

My 1st Practice Piece
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]150052[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-150047.jpe  
    Old 12-30-2010, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by MISHNJIM
    Belles....My DH got me a E machine for Christmas, I'm so excited and then I'm not...LOL He bugs me everyday about it..."Are you going to use the machine today?" "You know you can embroider on that?"...Okay Okay...LOL He is driving me nuts. I have other things I need to get done 1st. I did do a little something with it just practicing and I did get really excited and of course he teased me about FINALLY being excited...Men..Can't live with em and can't live with out em.
    You did an excellent job for the first time! Your spacing between the flower and your name is perfect and you changed from capital letters to lower case. I found that once I started embroidering, I found myself embroidering more and more, especially when my DGD was over. She was only two years old and would sit on my lap to push the button to start whatever she chose for the shirt or jacket she brought. When the machine stopped for a thread change, she would hop off my lap and get the next color thread from the tray which I set on the floor of my sewing room. "Get the green thread, Alyssa", I would say. "OK Nana" and she would bring the spool of green. With each different color, she was also learning to distinguish the subtle difference in hues. UNTIL..."Bring me the tan thread Alyssa", I asked. "Tan Nana?" she replied, "Tan? Lyssa get Nana tan", she repeated. She finally asked after searching through the 64 different spools, "Nana, what's tan?". Now, at age 11, she loves hearing that story and she's already made three quilts!

Keep embroidering Mish and incorporate it into your quilting whenever you can. Belles
    Old 12-30-2010, 01:01 PM

Congrats, Mish. Once you start using it, you will love it and want to put embroidery on everything. I don't have mine with me in AZ and I really miss it.
    Old 12-30-2010, 04:38 PM

Thank you....Now I'm trying to figure out how to download designs from the web and put in what program in my computer. I don't know???? HELP!!!!!
    Old 12-30-2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by MISHNJIM
    Thank you....Now I'm trying to figure out how to download designs from the web and put in what program in my computer. I don't know???? HELP!!!!!
    Mish, set up a folder for Embroidery Designs and download designs into that. As you collect a lot of designs, you'll probably want to break that folder down further into design types or by digitizer. I keep the designs I buy by digitizer and keep free designs separate. I think everyone has their own way of doing things.

What machine did you get and what format does your machine use? You're going to love it.