Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-02-2017, 03:01 AM

Everyone's blocks are looking great, both the 9-patches and the flying geese blocks. I was not able to find time yesterday to even pull up week 2 clue until this morning. Hope I can get at least some of them done today. I bought Bonnie's Essential Tool last year so I will probably use that to make the flying geese. I have a hard time doing the flip corner method and still getting the corners to the proper size. I don't mind if the corners extend a little extra and need trimming but I don't like when they do not reach the size they should be. LOL Enjoy your day and be blessed.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:41 AM

I finished my 50 9P blocks yesterday morning then printed the 7 pages of flying geese instructions. I purchased BH’s triangle ruler a week or so ago and had not yet opened it...I tried cutting and sewing a few of the FG blocks to check my accuracy and I can’t believe that I waited so long to purchase her ruler. I sure could have used it when I did Allietare two years ago...Today I will finish cutting my 200 melon/coral triangles but luckily have the rest of the week to chain piece them.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by cmputerdazed View Post
Where can I find the manic 8 method and how to size it to these sizes?
I misspoke - sorry. The magic 8 is for HSTs. Use the no waste 4 at a time instead. It works like a charm. Here's a link: https://weallsew.com/no-waste-flying-geese/

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-02-2017 at 08:24 AM. Reason: remove copyright info
Old 12-02-2017, 05:42 AM

Since I posted the above 4 at a time directions, I thought I'd better test it with the extra 1/8th inch. I always have problems with having enough seam allowance at the top point. Cutting a smidge larger turned out to be the trick. I needed to trim a little all around, but the seam at the point is spot-on.

If someone is doing scrappy, you could use 4 different neutrals.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

It was a challenge *not* to cut too many strips for the 9 patches, and I think I did fairly well. Only have a bit left over, which I will save in case I need to make a few more once I see her final layout. I'm doing the half sized, but that may have to round up to 3/4 size once I see the finished quilt.

I agree that it's a challenge to know how many strips to cut, but not having it spelled out for you just makes you think and plan better, and become a better quilter! Besides, to some people just 4 of each color is their "scrappy", and to others, they may have 20. So you have to figure out how many of each for yourself. For instance, cutting triangles for my geese, I figured out I need a strip about 12" long to get 6 big geese triangles cut. That's what I will cut from my 14 oranges and I will be pretty close to the 100 units I need to make. I can cut a few extra at the end if I need them.

By the way, Bonnie's special ruler is nothing more than an Easy Angle ruler and a Companion Angle ruler, put together. Her's has both sets of lines on it. But if you have the EA and CA rulers already, no need to buy Bonnie's. These are available all the time at Joann's, where you can use a coupon if they are not already on sale. Previously, Bonnie used these two rulers in her MQs before she decided to start marketing her own. That's why I have them... from past MQs of hers.... I use the EA ruler constantly to make my HSTs. They come out so accurate, often with no trimming needed at all.

Off to cut some orange triangles!

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 12-02-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
Is it just me, or does this MQ seem a little more challenging than last year's? Personally I'm really enjoying the challange and tiny pieces, but I think this would be kind of hard for some.
I thought last year's pieces were unusually large for a Bonnie quilt. They did seem easier because of the size and because there were fewer units to make.

Kass, that looks wonderful!

Beautiful, Tweety!

Love the blues, sewbizgirl! I hope that finger pinks up soon. They say fingertips have an amazing ability to regenerate.

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
I purchased BH’s triangle ruler a week or so ago and had not yet opened it...I tried cutting and sewing a few of the FG blocks to check my accuracy and I can’t believe that I waited so long to purchase her ruler. I sure could have used it when I did Allietare two years ago...
jmoore, what method did you use for Allietare? I had the Easy Angle and Companion angle then (comparable to Bonnie's ruler), but was not pleased with the accuracy of the units , and I never could figure out where I was going wrong.

Has anyone used both Easy/Companion Angle and Bonnie's tool? I'm wondering if there's something different/better about Bonnie's.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:42 AM

sewbiz, thanks for the photo of the twirled seams, I forgot to do that.
Still haven't made a goose, busy with other stuff, but I love to have something to look forward to, so it is all good
Old 12-02-2017, 08:08 AM

is anyone else using a vintage machine? I'm using a White Rotary, dated by White as 1939-1940. It is a blackside, and a gift from a client when I was doing hair.

I have a progressive eye problem, what I used to see straight now is crooked so I'm using a fridge magnet as a guide, works a treat.
It is a camel photo, taken up close to the nose and makes me laugh every time I sit down at the machine
Attached Thumbnails 1940-white-rotary-ringo-2017-mystery.jpg  
Old 12-02-2017, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

Kalama, love a sewing machine with a view! And the fridge magnet is genius. I sometimes use my Singer 301 when I piece upstairs. I did most of my Allietare on it. Downstairs I use my Juki2010Q.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Has anyone used both Easy/Companion Angle and Bonnie's tool? I'm wondering if there's something different/better about Bonnie's.
I don't have Bonnie's ruler, but I have gotten perfect accuracy with the Easy Angle and Companion Angle. You wouldn't need both those and Bonnie's ruler, because they do the same thing... same lines, etc.

Reminder: any ruler is only as good as we sew. Still have to get that proper seam allowance to make it all come out right!