Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 11-29-2017, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Bonnie has asked people to refer others to her blog for mystery info, rather than repeat specific information about the mystery (like size and number of units) on other internet venues. That doesn't mean we can't share our experiences and help each other out.
That's how I understood it too, Lisa. I don't think posting tips and tricks is breaking any rules.

I saw that Bonnie's FB page is having super strict rules, like not being allowed to even post photos of the units lined up on a cutting mat. Personally I thought that was kind of extreme, but it's not my FB nor my own MQ.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:31 PM

Kassaundra! :-))) "Since we are not suppose to post any measurements or number of units I will give a false example." Oh, my word! That amused me. You are a cute one, that's funny. :-) We are on Quilting Board, so to use QB, we follow QB rules. :-) Does QB say we cannot talk about what we are sewing? Sharing quilting difficulties/activities/finished quilts are reasons that QB exists, as far as I understand it. I had trouble translating what you were talking about. Maybe true examples are more helpful than false ones, but I appreciated the work you put into your answer.

Math is not my forte either. That's what made it a great question though. :-) I'm using just one fabric for each color, so how many WOF strips would be helpful to me. People who use scraps could lay them end to end, and measure 40"-42" lengths if they wanted to use the WOF strips amount.

If we are talking about what BH says we are supposed to do-- she is posting her clues on the world wide web, which is a public domain that anyone can read or use. She wrote on her blog that her file can't be shared in any way-- and her intention of her sentence, "No part may be reproduced or transmitted in any form by any means... without permission in writing from the author" cannot mean talking about the clue, because she, herself, is actually providing people a forum to talk about the clue! The logical meaning of that statement would be that she is referring to the file, especially as she goes on in the statement to clarify that she wants people to not share the file, but get it directly from her blog: "Please send your friends to my blog to print their clues."

Joe's mom, BH can request people to do what she wants them to do. But, really, it's a kindness people are giving her, in that they are interested in using her blog with it's advertisements, her patterns with their copyright laws, her rulers with their prices, etc. She cannot really request that people not speak about what they are doing... There is not a rule against sharing a hobby with like-minded people. I agree with you, we certainly can share our experiences and help each other. Maybe someone doesn't have the time or inclination to plow through all BH's elementary directions and expressive comments-- maybe someone just wants to ask a friend and get a quick answer: How many 9-patches, and what size do they finish at?

I didn't look at the FB group. It doesn't sound like much fun to see it. Sorry for the long post. It might be like FB, and not worth reading! lol :-p

Last edited by givio; 11-29-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

Bonnie gets advertisers based on the volume of traffic to her site, which is how she gets paid for all the work in developing a mystery QAL. So of course she doesn't want specifics of the pattern (sizes, quantities) spread from person to person without visiting her site. She may not own the Quilting Board, but she does own her copyright of this pattern, and one of her stipulations for use of it is not to share the numbers online. ​Just the numbers. It is little enough to be asked to comply with. If you stop to think on it, it's how we pay her back... By going to her site to get the numbers.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:17 PM

Good thought sewbizgirl! Has your t'giving company left yet? Have you been able to start on your 1st clue yet? Can't wait to see your pics....
Old 11-29-2017, 08:26 PM

Here's my clue 1 done - 25 blocks since I am only making it half size...until I see the reveal and determine if I like it enough to spend the time and resources to make it full size.

I'm a rebel - all seams pressed open.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584533[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails clue1.jpg  
Old 11-29-2017, 08:39 PM

You have so much variety, Imanna! Great blocks!
Old 11-29-2017, 08:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
Good thought sewbizgirl! Has your t'giving company left yet? Have you been able to start on your 1st clue yet? Can't wait to see your pics....
Oh yes, they have all gone home. We had such a great time together. Haven’t done my clue yet! I got sidetracked making three children’s strip quilt from a drawer of scraps I found. And... I had another accident with the rotary cutter and cut off the tip of my left pinky! Got that all wrapped tight and I can sew again. Maybe I will get my clue 1 units made tomorrow.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:14 PM

Finally got my 50 done! I sure wish I had those numbers we are not supposed to have because I cut waaay too many! I have enough left over to make a strip quilt in the same colorway!
Attached Thumbnails all-50.jpg   lftovers.jpg  
Old 11-29-2017, 09:17 PM

More beautiful blocks being sewn. All looking so good
Old 11-29-2017, 10:07 PM

In BH's post she says, "Please do NOT share piece count or unit sizes in your posts. Let's keep this a mystery for everyone." With the use of 'please' it seems more like a polite request than a stipulation for use of her pattern. I thought the request seemed like an oxymoron. When she posts a part, it is no longer a mystery simply by virtue of it being posted. There is not a way to hide it from everyone who frequents places where people speak about quilting news.

Also, it seems contradictory because she posted instructions on Monday for linking, where she allows the sharing of pictures of units shown on cutting mats, which reveals the size of the units. She encourages linking, and linking supports exposure, not mystery.

In addition, she includes a comment indicating to share: "No matter where you are in your On Ringo Lake, you can share blocks, design wall photos, completed tops, quilted tops waiting for binding, finished quilts, quilts with your dog, cat or grand baby on it – just share!" If she truly means no matter where you are in your On Ringo Lake, it can be confusing what to share, especially when she adds, just share! That seems to indicate her list in not all inclusive. For example, if where I am is up to 25 9-patches out of 100-- then that's where I am, and she says 'just share.' Some people might assume when they share it would be to her benefit. When there is more hype about a product, then the manufacturer earns more. The less hype, the fewer sales.

I think Sewbizgirl has some great insight about the topic. It's easy enough to comply with BH's request.

I plan on making a twin size quilt of ORL, and I have no idea how many units I might need for it, so I won't be saying. For sure, the number I make as I go along will not be the number that BH writes in the MQ instructions. I might say where I am on my sewing project because it's fun to share, and BH encourages sharing. I certainly enjoy what others are sharing on this thread. :-)

Another long post. Sometimes I just enjoy writing. Not enough to write a blog though! :-)