Small World Coincidences

Old 02-16-2011, 08:40 PM

My FIL was a teacher for over 40 years - coached girl's basketball a lot of those years, but taught some kind of history also. My husband was having surgery in San Antonio, TX and his parents and I were in the waiting room. Guy comes over to my FIL and says "Hi, Mr. Johnson!" Was a former student from - again - tiny Cordell, OK! We ran into former students of his all over the place, but that seemed the strangest one. Those Cordellites sure get around!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:09 PM

My Dad was at an auction bought a box of stuff. Came back to the pick-up and opened the tail gate to use for a table and see what he had in the box. The second thing he pulled out of the box was an old quilt. He unfolded it and found out it was a quilt that the school he had attended 60 plus years before had made for the teacher.
Each student had embroidered their name on a block.
That was the second block my Dad had made. The first one he didn't follow directions. He had used his nickname and the lady in charge would not us the block. So he had to make a second block. It also has a block my aunt made she was a year younger then my Dad and one my grandmother had made because they needed a few more blocks to finish the quilt. It has been used well.
He did give me the quilt a year after he had bought it . What a treasure!

My husband, brother and neice all share the same birthday-June 11 all different years.

My husband's Grandmother and Grandfather shared the same birthday and were deliveried by the same Dr. lived 11 miles apart. In that day the Dr. came to the house to deliver. They married on the same day as their birthday 22 years later.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:59 PM

When I met DH, we were amazed to find that we had lived our entire lives (we were both 40ish when we met), straight across the Columbia river from each other. We were neighbors as children for a few months, when my family moved to Portland. The first month we lived together, he took me to deliver a gift to his DSIL, a few days before my birthday. During the visit, she and I were talking about birthdays, and I asked her what day hers was. Imagine my surprise to find out we were born the same day, the same time, in two different states! There are two of us born under the same weird astrological conjunction. (Six planets in Aquarius Constellation.)
Old 02-17-2011, 12:18 AM

Love this topic.

My folks lived in the same house since 1935. They raised us 3 girls there. I got married in 1964 and eventually moved about 40 miles west to another town. Discovered youngest daughter's best friends father went to school with my sister. Her other best friend's mother was one of my best friends in high school. (Her mom had died very young of breast cancer and I lost track of her husband).

When my mom had me, she shared the hospital room with another lady who lived 2 blocks away. The other lady's son married my sister-in-law.

Was good friends with a man from work and our families would get together often. When his mother died, of course, I went to the funeral. Was surprised to see a good friend/neighbor at the funeral. Her mom and the deceased were sisters.

My youngest son and his best bud were both Cub Scouts. So his friends mom and I decided to be den mothers. I didn't realize for many years that I worked with her mom (different last names). My husband played basketball in a city recreation league and would you believe it, he played basketball with her brother (another different last name).

My first office mate and I had the same names, spelled the same. My second office mate and I shared the same birthday.

Took a second job (to support my quilting habit) at Hancock Fabric's. Never knew that the manager's best friend was my cousin.

I could go on and on. My life is so full of 'coincidences' that it never ceases to amaze me. What is that saying about, "6 degrees of separation"? It is spooky sometimes.

Six degrees of separation (also referred to as the "Human Web") refers to the idea that everyone is on average approximately six steps away from any other person on Earth, so that a chain of, "a friend of a friend" statements can be made, on average, to connect any two people in six steps or fewer.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by JJane
My Dad was at an auction bought a box of stuff. Came back to the pick-up and opened the tail gate to use for a table and see what he had in the box. The second thing he pulled out of the box was an old quilt. He unfolded it and found out it was a quilt that the school he had attended 60 plus years before had made for the teacher.
Each student had embroidered their name on a block.
That was the second block my Dad had made. The first one he didn't follow directions. He had used his nickname and the lady in charge would not us the block. So he had to make a second block. It also has a block my aunt made she was a year younger then my Dad and one my grandmother had made because they needed a few more blocks to finish the quilt. It has been used well.
He did give me the quilt a year after he had bought it . What a treasure!
That gave me goose bumps.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:27 AM

My husband and I went to Wash DC for a vacation. We decided to eat lunch in the Senate lunchroom. Just after we ordered, a couple we knew slightly from our home town came in to eat lunch. We were both surprised.

and

When I was in 7th grade, I had a crush on a boy whose family worked on a ranch outside of our town. We went on one date to a movie with his mom, dad, brother and sister. The next year I never saw him again. When I was a Soph. in HS, our family moved to our family ranch in the country (in central CA) and I changed schools. In the late 1960's, my family sold the ranch and moved into another town and I was already married and lived in So CA. Every time I was in the area, I would drive by the ranch and often no was living there. About 20 years ago, we drove by and someone was living in the house. It was a distinctive house and I wanted to show it to my husband. It turned out the family in the ranch house was my old 7th grade boyfriend and his family. We had a great visit.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:26 AM

My husband was stationed in Scotland at Holy Loch. We couldn't afford to travel but I was sent to a doctor in Glasgow. We were walking down the street in Glasgow and spotted his aunt and uncle from the States walking down the other side of the street.

and
My second oldest son played the oboe in school and was quite good at it. In college he met a girl that he fell in love with. They dated for six months before he found out she played oboe in high school! And to top it off, they realized they had both been in All-County Band one year and sat next to one another! Go figure!
Old 02-17-2011, 05:10 AM

My mom and dad got married on his birthday, Dec. 15th. A year later I was due on Dec. 15th but held out until Dec 26 at 1:56 a.m. after 21 hours of labor.

My mom was born on May 29th. My brother was born on my mom's 21st birthday. I married a man whose mother was born on May 27th. His grandfather was born on May 18th, my aunt's birthday. His father was born on December 7th.

So ... in May we had Mothers' Day and both mothers' birthdays, my brother's birthday, and DH's grandfather's birthday.

In December we had my grandfather's birthday, both dads' birthdays, my parents' wedding anniversary, Christmas, and my birthday.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by IBQLTN
My mom and dad got married on his birthday, Dec. 15th. A year later I was due on Dec. 15th but held out until Dec 26 at 1:56 a.m. after 21 hours of labor.

My mom was born on May 29th. My brother was born on my mom's 21st birthday. I married a man whose mother was born on May 27th. His grandfather was born on May 18th, my aunt's birthday. His father was born on December 7th.

So ... in May we had Mothers' Day and both mothers' birthdays, my brother's birthday, and DH's grandfather's birthday.

My Dad and my granddaughter were both born on Dec. 15th, my maternal aunt and my paternal uncle died on Dec. 15th!

In December we had my grandfather's birthday, both dads' birthdays, my parents' wedding anniversary, Christmas, and my birthday.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by IBQLTN

Somehow my words didn't get posted! I'll try again. My father and my granddaughter were both born on Dec. 15th and my maternal aunt and paternal uncle both died on Dec. 15th.