Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need ideas >

need ideas

need ideas

Old 02-16-2011, 04:41 PM

If they are so fussy about returning presents, just give them the money to buy one - it will probably save a lot of time and heartache.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:43 PM

I am expecting my first grandson any day now and I, too, have wanted to make a special quilt for the baby. I have some special baby blue fabric for several years thinking that I would make an Heirloom quilt to be passed down to thenext generation. Now, the problem is that professioals are now telling new parents that babies are not to have ANYTHING in the bed with them - no pillows, blankets or anything else - babies are put into blanket sleepers and placed on their backs in the crib - so I have decided not to make my special quilt for "Billybob" (they aren't telling the name until he gets here) -

Your friend may want to go the the nearest Joanns and look up patterns for blanket sleepers - I'm thinking about it - no use putting all that time and effort into something that on't be appreciated -
Old 02-16-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by yonnikka
For fussy people (Professional Rejectionists), it might be safer and wiser to have the couple see some photos of completed quilts, such as the photos on Quilt Patterns for Sale; where they can use their powers of rejection BEFORE your friend has invested hours and hours of labored love. Thanks to the internet and wonderful quilting supply stores, you won't have to drag them out on a shopping trip; they can select from home.
I agree.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:48 PM

If you have a quilting program like EQ or Quilt Pro on your computer that you could scan the fabrics in and play with designs using the fabric colors they sent to you. then it would really help in choosing what patterns you like best with the fabric they have.

Also this would be a great way to show the parents many different designs that you could do with the colors. Have them choose at least 2 so they will not know which one you will make and it will still be sort of a surprise to them.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:52 PM

I think I'd take the mother-to-be shopping and let her choose the fabric.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:19 PM

Maybe BFF should ask the parents what design they would prefer ... she could show samples of tumbling block, circles, or any other curvy design that you find that you wouldn't make making.

That might be the safest solution, rather than have it tossed in a closet ... ahem, yes they sound rude and unappreciative.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:22 PM

Daisy, you might consider still making the baby a quilt .. not for the crib but to put over the baby in a car seat etc or lay on the floor on his back or when baby is old enough to hold up his head and look at it ... that kind of thing

Don't deprive yourself of the joy of making your first grandson a wonderful quilt from his gramma.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:32 PM

How about if you let the parents pick out the fabrics? Sounds as though they won't appreciate all the love and effort you put into it.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:43 PM

no answer for your question but when my son had a baby they used a Monkey/jungle theme. Being the stubborn and old fashion grandma to be I made a traditional baby quilt with pastels (baby girl) and Baby Bunting pattern. I figure maybe someday when GD is older SHE will appreciate it - esp if she tires of Monkey themes. Seems like all new parents to be are going with themes. When I had my kids I like anything babyish - lambs, teddy bears, etc - a variety. But things do change (just like all the new baby names that I can't even spell half the time) LOL
Old 02-16-2011, 08:54 PM

I have a friend who did baby quilts [http://quiltwalktalk.blogspot.com/20...-finishes.html]for a new little one since she had not had new grandbabies for a while. take a look maybe it will give you some simple ideas. The baseball one could be done in modern colors and would be pretty simple.