Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Nick names, a Southern thing >

Nick names, a Southern thing

Nick names, a Southern thing

Old 02-18-2011, 03:00 PM

My nickname is Pat and I call my granddaughter Gracie Mae and she hates it, grandsons are D and Bubba, I call my youngest granddaughter Willwe roe, real name is Lilly-Rose
Old 02-18-2011, 03:12 PM

My dad was Lloyd, nicknamed Jake. His brother Harold was aka Sonny. My dad called me Tootsie and Sunny when I was a little girl.

It runs in our family. I called my mother's mom Two Mom, and my Aunt Doris I called Cissy. (No idea why.)

My husband called our little girl Punkin and Toots. I call him Hub.

And I'm a Yankee, born and bred.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:33 PM
vic

I was named Victoria Louise. Someone thought Vickilou was cute, don't ask me why????? To me sounds like I came out of Dr. Suess, Vickilou Who.

I named by dd, Allison and she stayed that way until Kindergarten and the teacher shorten it to Ali. Until a kid called her Ali E Gator(like the cartoon). She got so upset, she went back to Allison and would not answer to nothing else
Old 02-18-2011, 03:44 PM

I was named after my Grndmother,Bonnie.. My middle name is Sue.. so no one would get us mixed nearly everyone called me Sudie, or the whole name as one Bonniesue. My Grndfather is the one that started the Sudie. I havn't been called that since just before He passed in 1984..Still miss him.
But My Grndmother's real name was Arkansaw like the state. My Grndfather didn't like it and Her nickname was Bonnie now isn't that a Hoot? Thank you Dear Lord,that it wasn't Her Real name that I got. :lol: :lol:
Old 02-18-2011, 03:48 PM

Well, my mother called me Lucifer because I didn't always behave. Sometimes she called me Goose (not sure where that came from). My grandmother called me Miss Priss, even though I got in trouble a lot, I was always clean and neat. I still wash my hands after touching certain things. (For example, if I take the dog out, I come in and wash my hands, even though I didn't really touch anything, it just felt like I need to wash my hands.)
Old 02-18-2011, 05:25 PM

I am from the North and everyone i grew up with had a nickname....Chinco...Knobsy...Ort...One Eye...Big Blue...Nudie...Dumpy...Snuffy...Little Snuffy...Big Jim...Little Judy...Boobie...Tires...Big Dick...Curly...Case...Tootie...Rosebud...Nanny...B umpy...
Nicknames were meant to be endearing! :shock:
Old 02-18-2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by mcbride4362
I am from the North and everyone i grew up with had a nickname....Chinco...Knobsy...Ort...One Eye...Big Blue...Nudie...Dumpy...Snuffy...Little Snuffy...Big Jim...Little Judy...Boobie...Tires...Big Dick...Curly...Case...Tootie...Rosebud...Nanny...B umpy...
Nicknames were meant to be endearing! :shock:
Those are funny nicknames. Sounds like a fun bunch of people to be around! :)
Old 02-18-2011, 05:35 PM

My husband called our oldest son "Boogie Boo". When he wandered off at Disney World, we were paged with this message. Will the parents of Kenneth Richard "Boogie Boo" Nettles please come to the visitors center? We laughed all the way there.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:45 PM

My dad always called be MerryBetsy, he used to sing it to the tune of Frère Jacques, "MerryBetsy, MerryBetsy, How are you?" and then he would add a few lines about whatever I was doing at the time.

My dh calls me Princess, Punkin Princess, and when he is unhappy w/me he calls me Ogre Princess, but I am always royalty. :-)

Most of my friends and coworkers call me MB.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:58 PM

growing up, my brother called me Sissie, I called him Buddy
Most everyone I knew back then had nicknames...except ME. In my husbands family were Sakes, Blue, Weedie, Perk, Pudge, Bill, Glory and Husband's was Fizz ( apt description, too) FIL nicknamed his children-in-law--Myrt, SalCat, Squirrel Jaw, Swamp Rat, Brood, PitterPat, and again, I got left out! My daughters were nicknamed Tate and Dairie. Have friends now who call me Karo-- (name is Karen; surname begins with an "O")I rather like that. Yes, we are southern folks