Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you really make money with your passion? >

Can you really make money with your passion?

Can you really make money with your passion?

Old 02-19-2011, 12:33 PM

I sell tops on ebay and double the cost on item and make a few extra bucks. You'll never get alot for your time. I sell because I do so much so fast have no more room. Also sell to family members who order stuff but again you can't over charge them so you just hope to make a few bucks plus supplies.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:45 PM

I cannot work within a pre-set time frame; I have chronic health issues that take a big bite out of my sewing time. More importantly, I LOATHE working for someone else, using their guidelines or supplies or accepting their criticism; I can't & won't do it.

If I made quilts of my own choosing, using fabrics of my own choosing, etc., and then put the finished quilt for sale, that is less obviously working for someone else, but would still leave me vulnerable for negative comments and/or quilt rejection; I don't take criticism or rejection very well.

If I was much younger & healthier & gifted & produced works of art that (a) I loved creating and (b) were in great demand and (c) made huge amounts of $$$ for me, that would be a whole different situation.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:51 PM

Here is the answer. I taught my sister in law to quilt. She is Chinese. She started on e bay selling just tops for $9.00 but to me the fabric was cheap ( I am a snobe) Now she is making at least $1,000.00 or more a month. Guess how she can produce all that. Well she cant. She goes to China and has them all make to what she wants. The big container comes across the ocean with the quilts which she now sell for much more. I said hay these arent hand made. Oh yes they are. She relplied. It takes hand to put the fabric in the machine that makes the. Personally they are nice. But I still do not like the feel of the fabric. For Baby quilts I make for special friends I get quilt shope fabric and others joanns its stil better fabric.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:51 PM

i used to cross stitch & sew ring bearer pillows thru a local bridal shop... they were beautiful, and personalized with whatever color the bride wanted. they usually ordered the fabric when they ordered the bridesmaid dresses.

i got btwn $150. & $300. a pillow depending on how detailed they were.

i found the more "successful" i got, the less i liked it, because everything i was stitching had a deadline.

when i realized that i hadn't made anything for anyone i cared about in over a year, i quit.

it just wasn't enough $$ to wind up losing the joy i get from creating for someone special.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:46 PM

I quit working for someone else and started my own company a couple of years ago. It started out slow but rapidly picked up. I had always made quilts for friends and family, and they spread word of mouth. I also teach sewing and quilting classes and at this time I am able to pay all my household expenses and still save a little. I love it. I will not give away all my secrets to success, but if you are really interested in making a living at quilting, it can be done. Send me a PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:58 PM

Don't want to, would take the joy out of it for me.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:00 PM

A few years ago when I was sewing dress for my granddaughter everyone who saw them just fell in love with the dresses and my daughter asked me if I was interested in selling any as a few people had inquired. You know - if would have been nice to earn a little extra income but I put many hours in making these dresses just perfect and sweet and adding the little touches. My answer to her was an easy one. I enjoy making things for my family and if I were to sell my work I would not have time for anything else. So all of my sewing and quilting is for family members only.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Not me, I'm retired and don't want the pressure of doing anything for the public. I was a systems analyst but made cards, invitations and favors on the side. It was fun, but to WANTING make something vs. HAVING to make something is what makes a hobby enjoyable!
I'm not quite retired yet, but I agree. I love to sew, quilt, create in whatever manner. But I think if I did it for a living I would resent "having" to do it.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:22 PM

I worked outside the home for most of my life and had to meet deadlines and hop to someone elses music. Not anymore. I go to my sewing room and sew or quilt whatever and whenever I want. Sometimes I just go in and look at the mess and enjoy the color and get one of my books and find a new project. If I make anything for anyone else it is my idea and I will finish when I finish. It is freedom at its best and I have no desire to try to make it a business.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:27 PM

I consider myself extremely lucky that this passion of mine can stay a hobby