Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long did it take you to conquer 1/4" seams? >

How long did it take you to conquer 1/4" seams?

How long did it take you to conquer 1/4" seams?

Old 04-04-2011, 08:57 AM

I don't think I've "conquered" them since I mark 1/4" on all my pieces.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:03 AM

I figured out I was just sewing too fast...I slowed down and now my seams come out right.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:54 AM

Which foot do you use? What brand? I would like to try one.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:59 AM

ok i hope you use the same machine through the sewing part, don't ever switch machines as all are different. i use my janome 1/4 inch foot and i have no problem .i always use the same ruler for the project also to measure out my blocks/strips or what ever i am needing to cut out. same size needle in machine,stitch lenghth and width,all play in the sewing of the blocks squaring the blocks them up again using same tools as you started with.using a pin to match up points, sewing up one side and down other side to not get that bowed effect on quilts make it not match up.
oh also same cutting tools be it a sharp rotory cutter new blade. thread size stitches per inch . weze
Old 04-04-2011, 10:04 AM

I have a peice of double sided mounting tape tapped to my machine at 1/4" and then check my seams as I go and it works. But it takes time. I am also getting a accuquilt baby go to have more accurate cuts.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:12 AM

This issue was covered at our last sewing meeting here in Amarillo. First off our spokes person explained that all 1/4 inch feet are not created equally, meaning your 1/4 inch foot with metal guide may NOT be an exact 1/4 inch & if you have more than one machine, you should check each. She gave each of us an index card. The lines are exactly a 1/4 inch apart. She has us use that card and told us to put our metal piece on one line & sew. If your seam isn't exactly on the 1/4 inch line - u need to adjust your needle & sew again. Mark on the card "where" the needle is set to make a 1/4 inch seam. The same weekend at our LQS it was again explained that when we sew an exact 1/4" it may not come out to a 1/4 inch when pressed for a few reasons: 1) the thread used may be thicker. They recommended egyptian cotton 50 weight; 2) when you press (not iron) your seams on the back you set your seam, then turn over and press on the front to make sure you don't have just a tiny bit of a seam pressed on the top; and 3) Using a smaller needle (10). I too have found slowing down cutting my blocks and using a "strip" template helps - making sure I straigten fabric after each strip set cut (or if I think I may have slipped slightly), plus slowing my machine down when I sew. Don't know if this will help anyone or not, but definitley check out your 1/4" foot because they "do" vary.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:28 AM

I still think the best was the index card - put one of the lines under your needle and the line to the right will be a perfect 1/4" - then you can mark it on your machine bed with binding tape.Also remember what PaperPrincess said - the fabric weight can throw the seam off and even using steam when pressing can nudge the seam allowance out just enough....

Ok now time to learn applique!!!
Old 04-04-2011, 10:43 AM

Your cutting has to be exact. Your sewing has to be exact. You probably need to go SLOWWWW for a while to get that exact 1/4". I was really very overly cautious and slooowwww for months when I started quilting. Finally my skills developed so I can go fast...this after 5 years of quilting. If you are a new quilter it's your own learning curve. Take your time...accuracy is so much more important than speed.

We're here to help!!!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:19 PM

Took me forever and a day and they still weren't right until I read this:

Buy some Dr Scholls moleskin, it is like sticky-backed felt. Cut a strip about an inch wide and long enough to fit your machine bed from front to back. Put the needle down. Put a Quilter's Quarter or a 1/4" strip of graph paper lined up front to back, against the needle. Peel the paper off the moleskin and lay in in place, being sure that your 1/4" measure stays in place the whole time. (I taped my QQ in place with Scotch tape, I think). Press down on the moleskin to stick. I have had perfect 1/4" seams ever since.....
Old 04-04-2011, 12:28 PM

Am I missing something here? I've never worried about 1/4 inch seams.... I just have a foot that is close and stay with that width. If I do everything the same, what difference does it make. I can live with a quilt 3" smaller than the directions said it would be. If a piece in a block is a pinch longer, I lop it off. I've never understood why 1/4" is sacred. I'll tune in every few days to see what I've been missing.