Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long did it take you to conquer 1/4" seams? >

How long did it take you to conquer 1/4" seams?

How long did it take you to conquer 1/4" seams?

Old 04-04-2011, 07:12 AM

One quilt I was workin on was half square triangles, with the sq being 3" finished. I used 3" sq post it notes ON the block, sewing up against the post it note. The matching was perfect.

The next time I work on a matchy quilt, I will custom make post it notes with 2 way glue.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

Are you getting the same results all the time, under the same conditions?

I haven't read all of the replies ... so sorry, if this duplicates.

I noticed several pointing out that it could be cutting and pressing. Another suggestion would be to move your needle, assuming your machine lets you!

With my machine, the 1/4" foot does not give a 1/4" seam with the needle in the default position. Once I move it over a little bit, bingo! I've got a perfect 1/4" seam ... providing I use the guide on the foot.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:15 AM

I just made a quilt that requires strata (strip) sets. The sets were to finish at 10.5". Since they measured out at 10.25 I knew I had to move my needle one "tick" to the right in order to make my seam allowances slightly smaller. Another thing is to be extremely careful with pressing. Sometimes you can get little pleats and these must be coaxed open. Mary Ellen's Best Press will help here. Read Harriet Hargrave's new series, especially the first one, Quilter's Academy Vol.1 Freshman Year. I took a 2-day course with Harriet using this book and it improved my accuracy quite a bit. Harriet stresses that it does't really matter whether your seam allowance is an exact 1/4". What DOES matter is that the block finishes at the correct size. Also, I swear by Superior's Bottom Line thread. I use it top and bobbin. The finer the thread, the less room is lost in the seam. (Picture a rope vs. a narrow ribbon being folded into a seam allowance and you'll get the idea.) Hope this helps.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:33 AM

So glad to know I'm not by myself!!!!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:36 AM

Cut accurately. The measuring line on the ruler should be ON the fabric. Place a half-inch strip cut from the sticky end of five post-it notes (2.75" square) on your machine bed. Be sure it extends from the back end of the foot forward toward the front of the machine and lays along the edge of your quarter inch foot. Test your needle position. Three 1.5" width strips sewn together should measure 3.5" across finished. Adjust the needle position after measuring the width of your test piece. Tape the sticky strip down when the position is accurate. On my machine the strip lays against the right feed dog. I ALWAYS use this strip and replace it when needed which happens frequently, because I have to remove it to get to the top-loading bobbin.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:43 AM

sometimes, even with a good quarter inch foot, you need to adjust your needle position. Just be careful that the needle isn't coming down on the metal part of the foot. Cut two strips two inches wide carefully and sew them together with a quarter inch seam. Now press and measure. The finished piece should be 3 1/2" wide.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by DeneK
I try -- I really try. But I cannot seem to get any consistency. There are a whole of of quilters here -- please tell me there is hope.

I have tried several 1/4" feet. Tried stacking the post-its. Tried marking my sewing machine bed.

Sometimes it works. Sometimes I just think it is working until I try to put together the pieces of the block and nothing fits.

Can you tell I am frustrated today?

I have used the 1/4 "foot with great success. are you being sure not to crowd the foot as you sew?
Old 04-04-2011, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by DeneK
I try -- I really try. But I cannot seem to get any consistency. There are a whole of of quilters here -- please tell me there is hope.

I have tried several 1/4" feet. Tried stacking the post-its. Tried marking my sewing machine bed.

Sometimes it works. Sometimes I just think it is working until I try to put together the pieces of the block and nothing fits.

Can you tell I am frustrated today?

I have used the 1/4 "foot with great success. are you being sure not to crowd the foot as you sew?
Old 04-04-2011, 08:35 AM

Might want to adjust the speed you sew with. I find the faster I sew the more inconsistent the seams are.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:41 AM

I have found if I move my needle to the right and either mark the dial with a fine point permanent marker (just a dot) or, if you have a read-out screen,see what number it is on. Then I use the edge of my presser foot as a guide for the edge of the fabric. This works really well if you can move your needle left and right of center.

mountainmammo