Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long did it take you to conquer 1/4" seams? >

How long did it take you to conquer 1/4" seams?

How long did it take you to conquer 1/4" seams?

Old 04-04-2011, 04:36 AM

still trying after 10 years! :P
Old 04-04-2011, 04:48 AM

I found two problems with mine. I was sewing too fast and I really didn't understand the purpose of good pressing and I was careless. Once I got that down, I was better. Not perfect, but you know who's the only perfect one.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:48 AM

I found two problems with mine. I was sewing too fast and I really didn't understand the purpose of good pressing and I was careless. Once I got that down, I was better. Not perfect, but you know who's the only perfect one.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:05 AM
elm

I just discovered something I probably should have known all along. If you iron, not press when setting your seams, you can distort the fabric. Maybe it's not your sewing, but your ironing.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:13 AM

Conquer? Sometimes.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:15 AM

I am probably going to get kicked out of the club for this, but my philosophy is to enjoy the process. Sure, I do try for perfection, but If a don't always get it exactly right, I refuse to let it spoil my joy in the process. I've never made a perfect quilt, and never will, but I'm a good quilter and love doing it!
Old 04-04-2011, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by crb45
I am probably going to get kicked out of the club for this, but my philosophy is to enjoy the process. Sure, I do try for perfection, but If a don't always get it exactly right, I refuse to let it spoil my joy in the process. I've never made a perfect quilt, and never will, but I'm a good quilter and love doing it!
Absolutely the best attitude to have.

I've been quilting since the '80s, and I still have to be careful about that quarter inch seam. There are lots of tricks to help you; try them all. It's okay to use more than one at a time.

The most important thing is to enjoy the journey. When I teach, I actually enjoy telling my students about all my mistakes. Some of them think they have invented new ones, but they're wrong! I have become really good at ways to 'fix that.'
Old 04-04-2011, 05:23 AM

As a retired art teacher, you are absolutely correct... the process (vs. product) is the key! throw in trying for perfection and you must have great looking quilts! BUT, if my students came to me and asked if their work was "Good enough", I asked them what did they think? and how could they make it better (in an area or two...) They usually went back and "edited or tweeked" the work a little bit more. Then they were "happy" to hand it in. Never failed! and they never did either!
Old 04-04-2011, 05:24 AM

As a retired art teacher, you are absolutely correct... the process (vs. product) is the key! throw in trying for perfection and you must have great looking quilts! BUT, if my students came to me and asked if their work was "Good enough", I asked them what did they think? and how could they make it better (in an area or two...) They usually went back and "edited or tweeked" the work a little bit more. Then they were "happy" to hand it in. Never failed! and they never did either!
Old 04-04-2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
I just wrote this yesterday to someone else who was having a similar problem.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-112724-1.htm#2925138

You might very well be sewing a perfect 1/4" seam. But it you're still coming up too short (or too long/wide), then your problem is either in the cutting or in the pressing.

And a 1/16th off in the cutting, not pressing the seam properly here and there.... then you sew a couple of subunits together and your block is short 1/4". Not a big surprise.

Those other steps are just as important as the sewing. And that's not quilt police propaganda. ;-)

As I did in the thread link, if you can get your hands on "The Art of Machine Piecing" by Sally Collins, it will explain in nauseating detail the how/what/where things go wrong, and how to prevent it.

It's really just checking, checking, and checking at each step of the way.

Notions - post-its, 1/4" feet, block books - they're not a panacea for understanding the construction.

And then, after you understand the how/why/where, you can totally forget Sally's perfectionist ways and go make art quilts. ;-)

Try to find the book. Really. ;-)
I took your advice and went right to Amazon, found the book and there is also a DVD she did "Sally Collins Teaches Precision Piecing". I am a new quilter and want each quilt to be a learning adventure, like she says in the front of her book. Maybe I am my own quilt police?:roll:
thanks