Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!! HELP!!  How do you ORGANIZE & STORE QUILT PATTERNS from MAGAZINES?? >

HELP!! HELP!! How do you ORGANIZE & STORE QUILT PATTERNS from MAGAZINES??

HELP!! HELP!! How do you ORGANIZE & STORE QUILT PATTERNS from MAGAZINES??

Old 04-21-2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine
Originally Posted by okiepastor
The scanning is in violation of copyright laws......
Even when you bought the magazine and it's for your own personal use???
We had an attorney speak at our guild when I lived in AZ.
We were told that as long as the scan was used only for our own use that it was NOT a violation of the copyright laws. In fact some of them tell you to copy or trace. You are not supposed to copy them and distribute them to others but for your own use it isn't a problem.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:48 PM

I scan the pictures of the patterns I like then throw the magazine away. It seems like I used to save a lot of the magazines that I get and was running out of room.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady
I had so many magazines saved from over the years that I finally downsized. I went through each mag and tore out ideas/patterns that I wanted to keep and put them in page protectors and then put them in binders. And then I label the binders as applique, quilting motifs, etc.
me too ! works great. good browsing on a slow day when you just can't get started on something.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:26 PM

I cut them out and put them in a sleeve protector, and binder also. It really helped me eliminate some clutter.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:19 PM

I have lots of binders. I buy the ones that you can put labels in the binding end and the front and back I have made large labels and I put all my patterns in clear sleeves. One binder may be for Christmas projects, another baby quilts idea another paper pieced, another scrappy etc.. I also put any of the patterns I purchase in the clear sleeves so that I can see them when I'm looking for a new pattern. I sometimes forget I bought a pattern. I have probably ten binders. I started with one and as I amass more I got more binders. When school starts the office stores and drug stores have the binders really cheap and that is when I have gotten mine and when I buy the plastic sleeves. I have one binder with all the patterns that I have made quilts from and one that is a photo binder with pictures of most of the quilts I've made. Some of the patterns that are in books I book mark by folding a piece of clear tape in half on the page so the end sticks out maybe 1/4" and then I know why I saved that magazine. I think I'm a little anal about my patterns :lol:
Old 04-22-2011, 02:58 AM

Most of the time, I copy them on my flattop printer. They are easier to keep on the printer paper than the lightweight magazine pages.

I then put them in folders according to season, hangings, runners, etc.....Works for me.

I use those see through folders (they come in pretty colors also) and put a list of the contents on the inside of the cover facing out. I can see what is in that particular fold at a moment's glance.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:20 AM

You can use the patterns for personal use the way you want but the copy right is you can't sell the pattern or copies to others. When you buy the pattern it gives you the right to use it.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:29 AM

I use a crate with hanging files and put ideas, paper pieced patterns etc in there. I also have a drawer in a dresser that has patterns that I have created that are to large for any file. I role these into toilet paper or paper towel holders and label the holder with the name of the pattern.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:35 AM

My husband scans them in the computer so there is no paper until I want to make something. He hasnt' gotten very far, but the flood really helped me down size the last year.
;-(
Old 04-22-2011, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine
Try scanning the patterns you want and storing them on the computer. No Paper to store and you can always print them when you are ready to use them
This is what I do. Then I can sort them by type of quilt patterns they are: curved, triangles, etc.

When I lived down south we had too many bugs so I don't want much paper around the house, even though the bugs aren't much of a problem here.

I recycle my magazines with those in my quilting groups.

ali