Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!! HELP!!  How do you ORGANIZE & STORE QUILT PATTERNS from MAGAZINES?? >

HELP!! HELP!! How do you ORGANIZE & STORE QUILT PATTERNS from MAGAZINES??

HELP!! HELP!! How do you ORGANIZE & STORE QUILT PATTERNS from MAGAZINES??

Old 04-25-2011, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine
Originally Posted by okiepastor
The scanning is in violation of copyright laws......
Even when you bought the magazine and it's for your own personal use???
Am anxious to an answer on this one, if you spent money and bought the magazine, then don't you own that one pattern.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
Originally Posted by jeaninmaine
Originally Posted by okiepastor
The scanning is in violation of copyright laws......
Even when you bought the magazine and it's for your own personal use???
Am anxious to an answer on this one, if you spent money and bought the magazine, then don't you own that one pattern.
I don't know a lot about copyright law BUT it seems that if YOU purchase the magazine, you can certainly SAVE the patterns any way YOU want to.
Compared to those who COPY AND SELL mag. patterns on ebay etc ?? That HAS to be a violation (see my previous question above)
Old 04-25-2011, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady
I had so many magazines saved from over the years that I finally downsized. I went through each mag and tore out ideas/patterns that I wanted to keep and put them in page protectors and then put them in binders. And then I label the binders as applique, quilting motifs, etc.
I do this too. It works well for me. But I only have one binder so far. I don't do much applique, although I have enjoyed doing it once or twice. I make copies of what I want to keep so I can pass the magazines on to others.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:02 AM

There is such a darn fine line here.....I wish we had a lawyer on staff, you would think with the quanity of registered peoples here....one would be a lawyer......
I think when I have time latter in the day I am going to do some goggleing on copyright laws.....we all should
Old 04-25-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by TexasGurl
Originally Posted by Deborah12687
You can use the patterns for personal use the way you want but the copy right is you can't sell the pattern or copies to others. When you buy the pattern it gives you the right to use it.
I've wondered about the sellers I've seen who are selling single, torn-out magazine patterns on ebay and other sites ?? That surely must be a violation of copyright laws ? Yet they continue to do it ...?
It seems to me, unqualified that I am, that THAT would be a direct violation. But for you and me, if I scan a pattern from a magazine, and store it on my computer or in a binder, I don't think the Copyright Police will come to arrest me, or impose a fine, or whatever they do....execution? LOL. Nor do I think we have to worry about it, unless we are selling or distributing multiple copies. I say, collect your patterns and enjoy them.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:00 AM

Is there not also a fine line when you use a pattern to make items to sell for profit...that is against the law until you have written permission from the author/creator of the pattern.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
Is there not also a fine line when you use a pattern to make items to sell for profit...that is against the law until you have written permission from the author/creator of the pattern.
I have seen disclaimers following the pattern instructions, requesting that if the item is to be sold, to give credit for the design to the creator of the pattern itself.
Also, if when duplicating a pattern, you yourself change one feature, it no longer fits the copyright. A fabric wholesaler told me this....if you add a button, change the size of the blocks, or such, it belongs to YOU. The fine line is indeed fine, and I refuse to worry....lol.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:08 AM

For what it is worth....I just emailed babylock regarding one of their free internet patterns. I can make and sell the item at craft fairs however I can not sell the pattern. Interesting that says a lot too....

I think bottom line is a whole lot of common sense and know how and common courtesy and respect of others. If it is theirs it is THEIRS, and if in doubt ask or don't do it.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:24 AM

Well said!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by gramalama9
Well said!
Thank you very much

:lol: