Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions for Pfaff Owners >

Questions for Pfaff Owners

Questions for Pfaff Owners

Old 04-23-2011, 09:17 AM

I have been using scrap starts but just ordered a straight stich plate and should get it by mid-week. I'll let you know how it works.
I too always have the IDT engaged, one of the things I like BEST about the Pfaff.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:25 AM

As other have said use a starter piece and see if that helps. I use that all the time now and never have a problem with my Bernina.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by lovequilts
I have 2 Pfaffs and I love them. I do use a starter piece of fabric when piecing. This tends to resolve the "pull down" issue.

I always have my IDT engaged, even for piecing.

Hope this helps.
I do the same with my CV 5.
Kirsten
Old 04-23-2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by lovequilts
I have 2 Pfaffs and I love them. I do use a starter piece of fabric when piecing. This tends to resolve the "pull down" issue.

I always have my IDT engaged, even for piecing.

Hope this helps.
I bought a new SMARTER by Phaff and have had the same problem and the starter fabric works well. Same as above.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

Pfaffs are notorious for that but the straight stitch plate is supposed to solve that problem. Now HOW do you keep from breaking the needle when you forget that you have the straight stitch plate in?

Fortunately my new Babylock is not as persnickety as the Pfaff.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
I have a question for those who use leaders and enders or spiders or bunny ears...

I use them when I chain piece to save thread. However, I don't understand how this helps with the issue of pulling down the fabric into the hole. Unless you hold the thread toward the back of the machine the same problem that happens with your fabric patches should also happen when you sew the leader/enders. They're fabric too. So, how do these leader/enders help? Not being snarky, just curious.
Not sure how everyone else does it, but my leaders/enders are pieces of fabric that are folded over in half or thirds and I just butt one up to the very edge of the last piece I'm sewing and sew right on to it and cut all of the other pieces off that I'm working on. Then when I start piecing again I butt the first piece right up to the edge of the leader that I left under the needle and sew right on to it. If I use a thick leader (folded three or four times) it also helps me when my first piece has a thick seam right at the starting edge (such as two HST) and helps it flow right under the needle.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Originally Posted by Tropical
I don't know what you mean by IDT. I love my Pfaff 1170 which I bought in 1997. I always lock my stitches when starting and to avoid the pull down, I start about a 1/4 inch in on the fabric and then backstitch to lock them. This alleviates the problem. I find this easier than using a start scrap of material.
IDT stands for Integrated Dual Transportation, if it is engaged the black plastic piece is hooked onto the back of the presser foot.
Thanks for the info. I have always just called that Dual Feed. :)
Old 04-23-2011, 01:16 PM

I have used the thread pull method with my 7570. Stitches will be longer if you try to pull too hard and not let the machine do the work. Starter works fine. What is the purpose of an ender?
Old 04-23-2011, 01:52 PM

Polly13, the purpose of the "ender" is for it to be the "starter" next time you sit down to sew. Then you don't have to deal with long threads to hold. I'll bet I have saved a mile of thread by doing this.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:02 PM

WOW! Thanks for the lesson. I always do grumble using so much thread. Will definitely try it.
Originally Posted by Grambi
Polly13, the purpose of the "ender" is for it to be the "starter" next time you sit down to sew. Then you don't have to deal with long threads to hold. I'll bet I have saved a mile of thread by doing this.