Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
False Praise >

False Praise

False Praise

Old 04-26-2011, 04:01 AM

I agree, I just put up some different arrangements of the quilt blocks I am working on, and I got some awfully good feedback. I welcome the good and the bad, and so far the feedback that I have received has really helped me. So when I post stuff I really want the truth.

Verna2197
Old 04-26-2011, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

We all quilt at different levels, each doing their best.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:07 AM

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything. You don't know the path leading to the finished quilt. If you are asked for advice then give it gently. If someone would have picked apart my first attemps at quilting I would have quit.

People who are always willing to give advice remind me of my mother-in-law. She is busy tearing down people because she think it makes her look better.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:07 AM

We all have different taste, likes and dislikes. And if they post something, they must be proud of it. So, I do what my mama always told me,"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."
Old 04-26-2011, 04:13 AM

if you say nothing the person is left feeling very poorly, wondering, embarassed that something is not right, but, what is it? I think that is awful too. Perhaps one could say..you have really worked hard. If I were to try out that design, I would love to use these colors. I have even made the same design several times trying out different ideas and techniques. It was a fun learning session....or I remember how when I started out to quilt that I watched you tube videos to pick up hints. Have you ever had the fun of that? After making a few quilts trying out suggestions, I took classes that could help me focus on improving. Quilting is an endless opportunity to learn about color, technique, design. Don't you just love the challenge. You are never bored.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I agree! What is beautiful to some is not necessarily beautiful to others. But I would never want to say something that might discourage someone from trying. My mother always told me if at first you don't succeed, try, try again! What keeps us trying? Encouragement!
Old 04-26-2011, 04:20 AM

Personally I believe that not everyone is on an equal level and when someone is trying to create something who are we to tell them they are doing it wrong. If it makes them and those they are around happy who are we to think that we should take that away from them. I will venture to say that none of us started out perfect it was a long process of trial and error. But I can guarantee you that if someone had torn down what I made the first time " I probably wouldn't have made another" since then I have won a number of first place ribbons and I have sold hundreds of quilts in my shop so in answer to your question No I don't think it is our right to act as a teacher and grade what they do. Complimenting someone for what they have done will make them try again and again. Just my humble opinion
Old 04-26-2011, 04:21 AM

I usually do not comment unless I truly do like it and it calls out to me. Otherwise, I let you more experienced quilters offer help.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:21 AM

I quilt because it gives me an opportunity to create what I like. I am somewhat of a perfectionist but that depends on many things...mood, alertness, patience, etc. I have been told, "There are NO PERFECT quilts because those that make them are human, and there was only one PERFECT human."
I appreciate encouragement and advice if asked for. I love the tips, tuts, and pics from all. They help me create.

False Praise is a lie. Encouragement is a true gift.

No one requires you to comment on something you don't like. And God made us all different just as he did everything in and on our earth. We all like different things, colors, and have different talents...look for the beauty in someone else's talent and taste.

Be kind. It never hurts.

I hope all will continue to post pictures, questions, encouragement, opinions when asked, tuts, and the beauty they have created because it encourages me and brightens my day.

I am thankful for the opportunity to be a part of this forum, and appreciate all that I have learned. I also appreciate the kindness shown to me in many ways.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by np3
If they haven't asked for help on improving their skills, then don't offer it. If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all. It may not look right to you, but it looks right to them and that is all that counts. It may not be your color choices, but it was theirs.

I like what I like and I don't particularly care about the rules on color choices or contrast. If I am making a gift for someone, then I care about what they like, even if it isn't my style.
I agree 100% Nancy - That "old" saying (If ya can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all) is still a good one to keep in mind. If they ask, offer diplomatic alternate 'possibilities'.

I think most of us on here do this because we love quilting, the challenge of it, the comfort it give us, or sharing our 'warmth' w/someone we love or for a good cause. I know there are professionals on here who are in it for the $$$, but I think they also do it because the love it. For the most part we just love whatever quilting gives us.

In this day & age there are enough NEGATIVE things going on in the world & way too many critics. Does it REALLY make us feel better to bash someone else?

Just my two cents worth -

Everyone have a blessed day - & SMILE, GOD LOVES YOU!!! :lol: