Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
iPods and Sewing >

iPods and Sewing

iPods and Sewing

Old 05-02-2011, 09:48 AM

I have listened to the entire Harry Potter library while sewing on quilt blocks. Every time a new movie comes out I listen to the entire set so that I'm up to speed before I go to the theater.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Edie
I am thinking about getting an iPod and putting in audiobooks so I can sit at my machine and listen and sew. (I have found that with the cd player, the machine takes over the sound and I can't hear the story- this way I would have earbuds and have the story close to me..

I am wondering if any of you have put an audiobook into an iPod and does it work? Also, I can get either a 40, 80 or 160 gb and also how many books would each hold! I have a lot of binding here to do and need help! Thanks very much. Edie
I've been listening to books on Ipod for many years now and I love it! I only have an 8 gig but I find that is sufficient for me. I've had larger ones, but I find I put too much on them and foreget what I've listened to...age related problem..lol... There is a program from your local library called "overdrive.com" It lets you download books from the library on your home computer (you don't have to burn gas to go to the library). The librarian should be able to tell you all you need to know about it. Happy Listening!
Old 05-02-2011, 10:08 AM

Wow! I never thought of that. My husband has an iPod and listens to podcasts on them. Now I'm wondering if I can use my droid smart phone to do the same thing. I love to read. I love to quilt. Nothing could be better than doing two things that I love at the same time! Has anyone downloaded audio books to their smart phone?
Old 05-02-2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by dharinger
Wow! I never thought of that. My husband has an iPod and listens to podcasts on them. Now I'm wondering if I can use my droid smart phone to do the same thing. I love to read. I love to quilt. Nothing could be better than doing two things that I love at the same time! Has anyone downloaded audio books to their smart phone?
Yes, my son does it all the time! He also has a droid...
Old 05-02-2011, 10:20 AM

I had a 2GB MP3 player and I think I had around 200 songs on it. Assuming each song was 5 minutes long that comes to about 16 hours of audio. That's just for 2GB!
Old 05-02-2011, 10:23 AM

My DH says depends on the size of the books, but they hold WAY more than you think they will! I love mine, when I painted the house it was a godsend! Good Luck!
Old 05-02-2011, 10:27 AM

Love my ipod almost as much as my sewing machine!!! I download radio programmes onto mine.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by countryone77
Originally Posted by Cottage Dee
That's the point of backdating my MP3....the due date is never reached on the device. The library puts the book back into circulation at the end of the rental period. Everybody wins.
I'll have to be the spoilsport and say that I disagree with your assessment that "everyone wins".

New books have copyrights to protect the author's hard work. Even when non-copyrighted books are republished, the publisher has financed that and is justly due recompense for it. The library has agreements with publishers as to how books will be utilized by its patrons so that everyone's rights are protected.

Now you have found a method of circumventing the Library-Publisher agreement, because it makes it easier on you. Not only that, but you are encouraging others to do the same thing.

So the ones who are hurt by your process are the authors and publishers. And, if many folks start doing that, it could make publishers take a 2nd look at their library agreements and stop renewing them. If that should occur, then many library patrons would also suffer a loss.
I think I put my related comment in the wrong spot, so here it is -

I just wonder if you are keeping the books so long that others in your library can't get them? Our library shows how many digital copies are available and some are even on waitlist. Maybe yours is different?

I would think we want to abide by the regular rules to allow everyone a chance at the books. YMMV.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:36 AM

If you like older books you can go to www.gutenberg.org. You can down load their books for free.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:46 AM

I just wonder if you are keeping the books so long that others in your library can't get them? Our library shows how many digital copies are available and some are even on waitlist. Maybe yours is different?

When I download a book to my PC it is within the rules and guidelines of the library. It will not be accessible after 7 days by me. I stream the book to my mp3.