Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rude Guild Members/Need Help >

Rude Guild Members/Need Help

Rude Guild Members/Need Help

Old 05-04-2011, 04:25 AM

I belong to a different type of guild (smocking) and don't know if this will work in your case, but wanted to throw it out for consideration.

Our guild meeting place has two rooms; we have a meeting space, and a kitchen area where coffee & desserts are served. At the beginning of our program for the evening, the President always says something along the lines of: If you don't wish to participate in the program (or listen to the speaker), and just want to visit with friends, please adjourn to the kitchen area so that those participating can hear and see the speaker properly. Since we've started doing that, most people will go into the other room to chit-chat. Don't know if this will work for any of you since obviously you need a two-room space and not just a single large room.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

Oh hard. I would say to be direct. Tell them that since you are in front of the group more now, you have noticed the behavior and ask that they have respect for the speaker. If you do it at a time when the behavior is not happening, then you will not be admonishing anyone is particular. They may not be so defensive.

In our group we do ohhh and ahhh and make comments to our neighbors. And a few do carry on conversations every once in awhile. But it is in a room where the sound doesn't carry so that helped.

I just wanted to tell you I am sorry you have to deal with this and commisserate on that this is hard on you.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:38 AM

I have experienced another situation: Two or three of our officers have become so controling that it is their way or no way! If you ask a question, they very rudely put you down. I have decided that I don;t need that, so I quit going. One of the officers in question asked me why I hadn't been at the meetings recently and I politely explained to her why. I didn't want to embaress her.So now she won't even speak to me! Thanks to the Forum I an getting a great deal of info and I can do it at 3 am if I want!!!
Old 05-04-2011, 04:40 AM

Yes this is a rude thing to do. On the other hand are speakers that do not project their voice nor speak into the mike. If you are giving a speech learn how to give a speech! We (the guild) pay up to a thousand dollars for these speakers and pay our dues. If there is a question and answer part - Repeat the question (so everyone hears) and then answer!
Do not mean to hijack this thread but you have HIT ON MY PET PEEVE - SPEAKERS THAT DO NOT SPEAK UP!
Old 05-04-2011, 04:47 AM

I would write up the rules on paper what you exspect during the meeting and give everyone a copy of the rules. If they still do the talking draw attention to them and ask them to respect the speaker.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:48 AM

We have a "social hour" before the actual meeting starts. This allows members to chit-chat. The time also allows members to just come right from work. I will admit it is not the cure all but has helped.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:21 AM

This happens in so many places. While we were at church a couple of weeks ago, a family in front of us chatted through the entire singing/drama performance. I like most of the suggestions posted here.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:26 AM

Great Topic with some good ideas to try - love the duck tape idea as a sense of humor goes a long way!
Old 05-04-2011, 05:32 AM

Say, I like that whistle idea! You could even make it a funny ceremony to pass the whistle to the next chairperson.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:41 AM

In our guild, Miz Pres raps the gavel to get attention. If talking continues she either looks at them (the teacher stare) or calls them by name. They get the message. We have a social time before the meeting to catch up on chit-chat, then the meeting, then whatever the program is, a lesson and then show and tell. Our retreats have been the best ever for catching up and taking classes or just free sew!