Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you do this? >

Would you do this?

Would you do this?

Old 05-12-2011, 07:43 AM

Just the thought of putting scissors to her sent shivers down my spine -The stories she could tell if she could talk If she was mine I'd do everything I could to fix her up including hand sewing ( I don't even sew buttons back on because I truly hate hand sew)
Old 05-12-2011, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

If your MIL was going to throw it out? seems like she is no longer attached to it.

Someone else said earlier - it looks like a lot of the stitching has given out - that would be a comparatively easy fix - it's if the fabric has holes in it - that's another matter.

I think I would try to fix it as much as possible - cutting it up makes me shudder, too.

Or else just fold it up and put it in an acid-free box and put it on a shelf somewhere.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:10 AM

It would be a shame to cut up that quilt. Some careful patching would make it good as new.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:20 AM

Your MIL was going to toss it, so anything you do to it will not be a sin. Cut it up! Make her something out of it she can use, see, and enjoy (tabletopper, wall hanging, pillow, etc.) This came from her grandmother, so she should be able to enjoy it. My Granny had tons of soaps and towels and cloths and handkerchiefs that were never used. Only put up to 'keep'. They have disintegrated/been thrown out. What a pity. I am trying real hard not to do this, but to enjoy things. Even if you repair it, will you use it? Probably not, b/c you will be afraid to ruin it. Just my thoughts. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by Pam H
I have a 70 year old quilt top that belonged to my mil. Her grandmother made it for her when she was a child. It had been quilted a couple of times but now is just a very raggedy quilt top. She was going to throw it away but I kept it.
I am thinking of making a sweatshirt for my mil with it. I think there is enough of it intact to do this. Would you cut this up or is that some kind of sin? I am sure that she would love it.
Then there would be the challenge of figuring out how to do it.
it's a top only, isn't it? I'd finish it off and find some way to display it, NO CUTTING!
I agree ....finish it off and display it.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:40 AM

I have a quilt top very similar in age but in a little worse condition, and have made it my long term project. I take it along on car trips, and find it so relaxing to work on some evenings. My brother-in-law's GM made it, and I know he and my SIL will be SO thrilled to get it back finished with batting, a muslin back and a label with names and dates on it. Family heirloom to be treasured. Obviously I'm for Not cutting it up, but it's your decision (a tough one).
Old 05-12-2011, 09:04 AM

I wouldn't cut it either. It would have to much sentimental meaning to me.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:00 AM

I would try to repair it first...if you have kids think how they might like to have a piece of their grandmother's family. You might ask her and see what she would like to have done with...such a treasure to have..you're very lucky to have it...
Old 05-12-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Pam H
I have a 70 year old quilt top that belonged to my mil. Her grandmother made it for her when she was a child. It had been quilted a couple of times but now is just a very raggedy quilt top. She was going to throw it away but I kept it.
I am thinking of making a sweatshirt for my mil with it. I think there is enough of it intact to do this. Would you cut this up or is that some kind of sin? I am sure that she would love it.
Then there would be the challenge of figuring out how to do it.
You might want to consider checking and resewing all the seams (time consuming yes but in the long run well worth it) and then either requilting or having it quilted. Then long after your MIL and you are gone perhaps one of your family will have it and enjoy it (along with a picture of you and your MIL with the quilt).
Old 05-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Bev

Thumbs down on cutting it up. That is unless you plan to use the best parts of it to make a smaller quilt. It looks beautiful to me. Just MHO! 8-)