Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I finally outsmarted the squirrels!!! >

I finally outsmarted the squirrels!!!

I finally outsmarted the squirrels!!!

Old 05-16-2011, 06:33 PM

I, too, have been having squirrel problems. I purchased safflower seeds and the squirrels don't like the seeds. It took a few days for the birds to get used to them. The seeds are good for this time of year but was told to feed the birds sunflower seeds when the cold weather comes for the sunflower seeds have more nutrients.

It was too funny when I first filled the feeder with the safflower seeds. The birds and squirrels came right away for a feast. The squirrels smelled the seeds and immediately left the feeder. The birds were going round and round the feeder stopping at each hole looking for sunflower seeds. At first they would spit out the seeds but found that the seeds didn't taste that bad after all.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jdiane318
I have several bird feeders and love watching my birds. The only thing that ruins it for me are those #$@&*^%$ squirrels.
They will fight the birds for the right to be on the feeders, they will run them off, I have seen them fight blue jays and win. I wish the person that said 'squirrel-proof feeder' would come and look at mine anytime, anyday.

I was at Walmart looking for a new feeder, didn't find anything that I liked but did buy a cool looking hummingbird feeder and some seed. Went to Ace Hardware and there it was looking at me, a bird feeder that looked to the answer to my prayers. I bought it, bought some plants and came home.

Today was the day of my planned assail of the squirrels. I unloaded everything and the seed. I filled the new feeder up and waited and watched. It didn't take long for those little %$@#*&^%^ to show up. One stayed on the bottom, the other jumped on the clothesline pole. He gingerly walked on the top and then grabbed the feeder to steady himself and Wham! Bam! Thank you Ma'am! he was picking his butt off the ground. I will try to get pics as well as pics of the new hummingbird feeder. It resembles and old Coke bottle turned upside down and screwed in the base. I love it.

The top is metal as well as the bottom, as the squirrel tries to position himself, he falls off. I need to catch some pics but they must be getting tired. I spent close to $30, but it is having its desired affect.
Way to go!! Those little buggers sure are cute and fun to watch but......... they sure can tick you off! :thumbup:
Old 05-16-2011, 09:50 PM

The ground moves with chipmunks on this mountain and they chase the Blue Jays and everything else away. So on my bird feeders I attached a 10" piece of tin that flops between the branch and the feeder so the little critters can't get on the feeders. Not pretty but I won!
Old 05-17-2011, 04:51 AM

I love my birds and I also love to watch those cute little squirrels. I put out several bird feeders and several corn feeders for the squirrels.

To keep the squirrels out of your bird feeders use Safflower seeds for several weeks, the birds like them but the squirrels do not so they will leave the bird feeders alone. after a few weeks go back to the regular seed mix but add a little safflower seeds to each fill of the feeder and that shoud keep the little funny squirrels at bay.

hope this helps you out.
Lisa
Old 05-17-2011, 06:24 AM

that is so cute! I would pay squirrels to chase away blujays, lol.
I have a nice big feeder out and lots of smaller and medium size birds come to it, they scatter lots of seeds for the squirrels all over the ground, I even put out what the bag calls "critter food" on the ground, but the jays chase and attack the smaller birds. I think the squirrels stay away a bit is cus there are 3 cats at my house and they sit near the feeder at times, and are in the yard (its 10 feet in the air hung in a tree on a pulley, so the birds are fine. it has a "hat" on it to keep the squirrels out, like the shape of your feeder) and keep the squirrels worried. sharet
Old 05-17-2011, 06:45 AM

We also have flying squirrels. One got into our bedroom one night and we had a devil of a time getting him out. They are really cute. We have a feeder that hangs off our third floor deck. I bring it in at night because of raccoons and/or bears. I was pulling it up and just happened to turn it before I brought it in and something was looking back at me. Big Big eyes. I slowly lowered it and he glided off into the bushes. I always check the feeder now before it is brought in.

Lynn
Old 05-17-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by mommamac
I feel your pain - not only did we have problems with squirrels but the raccoons would visit at night! DH got a garden shepherd's crook and problem solved.
You're lucky. I tried that with a feeder like the one you have on the right. They just shinnied up the pole. Finally stopped them by putting only safflower seed in it. Costs a bit more but they don't like it. Ha!
Old 05-17-2011, 03:35 PM

Way to go ! Hope it works
Old 05-17-2011, 04:49 PM

We have 5 dogs and they are great exercise for them... love to watch the show..
Old 05-20-2011, 04:22 PM

i m going to look for one to put in my yard